Memo to Text Data Type (1 Viewer)

spenzer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:12
Good Day!

I have a couple of fields spread across the database named "Notes" which is currently set as memo data type, I would like to change it to text data type.

What I already know:
1. Text data type can only have a maximum 255 characters.
2. Memo data type can store up to 1000 characters.

* I am sure that we don't need more than 255 characters for it; not now not ever, and we currently don't even have 50 characters stored in a single field so the truncation matter is out of the question.

What I would like to know:
1. Could I just directly change the Data Type of All Notes field in our Back end from MEMO to TEXT. Is it safe that way?

2. Is there a possibility of a corruption issue after the change or future use?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 19:12
spenzer,

The easiest way to find out is to just do it and see for yourself.

Of course you would make a copy first and test on the copy. NEVER do something like this on your live database without having tested first and made a backup..

I can't see a problem with what you intend to do. In fact based upon your information I would highly recommend it.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:12
Good Day!

I have a couple of fields spread across the database named "Notes" which is currently set as memo data type, I would like to change it to text data type.

What I already know:
1. Text data type can only have a maximum 255 characters.
2. Memo data type can store up to 1000 characters.
Memo type can store 65,535 when entering data through the user interface;
1 gigabyte of character storage when entering data programmatically

Check out Access Help under specification for this info

RainLover

Local time
Memo type can store 65,535 when entering data through the user interface;
1 gigabyte of character storage when entering data programmatically

Check out Access Help under specification for this info

Rabbie thanks for that.

I knew about 65,535 but did not know about the 1 gig. The question arises WHY would you want 1 gig.

spenzer

Registered User.
Local time
@Rainlover

Thanks for the input. I decided that i would give it a go and stop chickening already.:D

@Rabbie

Thank you for the detailed spec of memo data type, it appears i should really avoid it due to tons of wasted space. :)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i think the 1000 char memo is a SQL thing isn't it.

varchar fields, aren't as long as Jet/Ace memo fields

I am pretty sure the two are interchangeable. however you will get a warning that changing from a memo to text may truncate data in the fields.

the other benefit is that you can sort text fields, but not memo fields

RainLover

Local time
Access help says;

Up to 65,535 characters. (If the Memo field is manipulated through DAO and only text and numbers [not binary data] will be stored in it, then the size of the Memo field is limited by the size of the database.)

So I assume this could be up to 2 Gig.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Rainlover

Thanks for the input. I decided that i would give it a go and stop chickening already.:D

@Rabbie

Thank you for the detailed spec of memo data type, it appears i should really avoid it due to tons of wasted space. :)

there isn't wasted space with text or memo fields. access only stores the size of data required - not the full unused width of text or memo fields

spenzer

Registered User.
Local time
there isn't wasted space with text or memo fields. access only stores the size of data required - not the full unused width of text or memo fields

Hi gemma, thanks for the tip. I have already changed my data type. But before that, I have read somewhere that memo data type field is prone or can cause database corruption. So with that reason along with we won't really benefit for the increased storage capacity. I decided to convert all of it into text data type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom