Merging two disparate tables (1 Viewer)

VBAhole22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
I have two tables that have the same fields and data types but they are in different orders. How can I copy and paste all of the records form one table into the other? Do I need to rectify the ordering first? What if one table has an extra field in addition to all of the fields of the other table? What is the best way to go about this copy and paste, through a query or just point and click?

shay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:03
Hi

You will need an append query to join the two tables. The order the data is stored in isn't usually important - you can always sort data using a query before displaying or printing.

hth

shay :cool:

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
You say same fields, do you mean same names? If so there's no problem. You can use copy and append from the table pane of the database.

If the field names are different, or the data types are different or you need to pad out the number of fields, I would write an append query that corrects all of this.

If you've got a lot of differences, especially data types, it's sometimes quicker in the long run to manipulate the data in a table before you append it. Horses for courses, really.

Bert666

Registered User.
Local time
Union Querry

I think this is a classic case of Union Querry - create the Union and then create a table based on the querry just created.

Just a suggestion.

Hope it helps.

Bert. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom