Microsoft to block Office VBA macros by default (1 Viewer)

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:44
I don't know if people have seen this but it might affect a number of Access users, so in case it helps to be aware:

Microsoft to block Office VBA macros by default

It seems to only affect if the application came from the internet, but people do use the web to distribute apps.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 11:44
So how is MS meant to know the source?
TBH I thought they were blocked to start with?
I have always had to enable mine?

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
From what I gather in the article:

- I am not sure how Windows can determine the source of an application but I do remember this kind of thing way back in the Win XP era where you had to click unblock on the file properties.

- You might be thinking of setting a Trusted Location? This requires you to uncheck, and being in a Trusted Location is no longer enough

Again, I just read the article and don't know anything further :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No, I have had to enable macroes and not ask, in word,excel, outlook and access.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Looks like it's a minor inconvenience. Instead of just clicking at the top of the page you will have to go to the file properties and untick a checkbox.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It will rely on something called Mark of the Web (MOTW) for this purpose
MOTW is sometimes called Mark of Cain or even Mark of the Devil.
Although well intentioned, it can be a devil to deal with.

However, that also seems to mean it will be possible to bypass this new setting

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Presume this won’t affect all those example db’s on forums

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Looks like it's a minor inconvenience. Instead of just clicking at the top of the page you will have to go to the file properties and untick a checkbox.

Like many things in life, that's only minor IF you know how to solve it. The article doesn't state how clearly that information will be conveyed to the person trying to activate the spreadsheet/Word doc/Access app.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The following questions were raised by a very experienced Access developer at another site:

1. Does this include files attached to email?
2. Does this include files downloaded from our own websites?
3. Is there any way to turn off this “feature” (sic) before sending the file?
4. Does this affect the .MDB file format? Or the ,MDE format?
5. Does this affect the .ACCDE format?
6. How do we get Microsoft to STOP trying to protect us from ourselves?

It will be interesting to see what if any response will be given.
To me, it sounds like another feature being imposed on Access by the completely separate VBA team

ontopofmalvern

Registered User.
Local time
My understanding of the change is that instead of the "this looks suspicious do you want to enable it" type thing we have now coming up you will be directed to an MS Help [sic] page which will tell you to change something in the settings before VBA code will be allowed to run.

My concern here is my users all use a runtime version of the FE and so do not have access to settings (and even if they did I do not want them to). My db (FE and BE) is hosted on an Azure server, FE is accessed via a remote link through an individual login. When I upgrade the FE (i.e. remove one of my many bugs) the end-users are each currently being asked to 'allow' my VBA to run. I am concerned about what will happen when this is implemented (as are the people who manage the server, they have a lot of clients doing a similar thing), any tips or pointers will be very much appreciated.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
have to wait and see how this actually works, but your users should be putting the FE in a trusted location. This will stop the 'enable code' message every time they have an update. you can do this in vba (you'll need to google how) or an installer .exe. Obviously first time they will still need to enable code, but once enabled vba can create the trusted location

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom