Migrating from 2003 to 2019 Access (1 Viewer)

PaquettePaul

Local time
Today, 00:51
What I want to do is take a copy of my 2003 Access application, upgrade to MS Access 2019, gut the unimportant stuff and rebuild a new application for a flying school using the basic form and flow architecture.

First problem Is that I cannot convert my database to new format defined in Access 2007. I know that you are supposed to go to File, Save As and select the new access database. However, the only options that I am being presented with are Save and Print.

Next problem is that I can only see the main switchboard like form. I have tried looking around but nothing else appears. When I click on the options in my main menu form when it is opened, the other forms show up in data entry mode but I cannot see them in the object library as forms.

I have found that compile errors are appearing in my code (specifically Declare statements) relating to 64-bit architecture but I can deal with that another time.

I am not sure how to proceed. Help would be very much appreciated.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:51
Hi. As someone already mentioned, jumping from 2003 straight to 2019 is probably not possible. I believe the recommended approach is to convert from 2003 to 2007 first and then to 2019. However, are you able to open your MDB file using 2019? If you can, then perhaps you can simply do the conversion manually, one step at a time.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you have 2003 installed somewhere. If you don't have Option Explicit defined in every single module, now would be a good time to add it. Save and compile. FIX EVERY compile error.

I know of no reason why you can't open a 2003 db and save it as an .accdb using A2019. Problems with conversions are frequently caused by compile errors in the source. If the source can't be compiled, how can it be converted?

PaquettePaul

Local time
Found hidden objects and managed to store in new db format so that can import forms to new database.
thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:51
Found hidden objects and managed to store in new db format so that can import forms to new database.
thanks
Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom