Solved Military time vs 24 hour time (1 Viewer)

PaquettePaul

Local time
Today, 17:37
Isaac, in some cases, people only have a sense of what they want to accomplish but do not know if there are better ways to implement things. Case in point is finding out the last day of the month and the first day of the month. I used to have a function with several lines of code to accomplish the task. Then I found out about DateSerial which showed that the problem can be solved with one line of code. Several times I have asked for “direction” advice and the members have generously provided their knowledge which have made my solution more efficient and manageable.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 23:37
You have a right to argue that way.

But I could also say, in order to enter formats and input masks, a database with table and form could already be provided and available. It would also be an expression of courtesy and appreciation of others' time that when I ask for a solution, I don't impose unnecessary routine work on others.

Of course, it's also great if you can describe your problem precisely and understandably in words, what you've done. It is just as excellent if the words of the answer are also understood and lead to your own implementation. Thinking and language made us human. You can't use these skills often enough.

But as I said, none of this is meant personally, but only in general terms.
Of course, everyone also has the freedom to only reply to posts that they like and where "requested" information is available, and you have the freedom not to reply at all.

Good luck and personal well-being for the future.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't argue with your point Eberhard. I can only say, it isn't always that simple to take a form out of context. However, as I said, experts can rapidly produce a form to reproduce a problem or at least give us something we can modify but the people who need the most help are the least capable of making it easy for us:)

ebs17

Local time
Today, 23:37
I know a lot of people aren't that helpless to be napped all over, they just want a great tip on something, and they're happy to provide the information (or templates!) needed to get there. One would only have to tell them, which would be useful. I assume positively that most people want to do something like that.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And after you've been here a while, you know who to not waste your time on:)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:37
however, it introduced a problem that I have had before and not sure how to deal with.
i have made a query (Query1) and made continuous form for it.
i am saving String time to my table.

view Query1 in design view and also the form (timeField BeforeUpdate event).

Attachments

• inputTime.accdb
    856 KB · Views: 95

John07

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:37
There are two methods to convert military time: the original method and the shortcut method. However, some people still make the mistake of dropping the first digit. For example, with 1345 military time, they drop 1 and read the time as 3:45 when the correct time is actually 1:45.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:37
You have a right to argue that way.

But I could also say, in order to enter formats and input masks, a database with table and form could already be provided and available. It would also be an expression of courtesy and appreciation of others' time that when I ask for a solution, I don't impose unnecessary routine work on others.

Of course, it's also great if you can describe your problem precisely and understandably in words, what you've done. It is just as excellent if the words of the answer are also understood and lead to your own implementation. Thinking and language made us human. You can't use these skills often enough.

But as I said, none of this is meant personally, but only in general terms.
Of course, everyone also has the freedom to only reply to posts that they like and where "requested" information is available, and you have the freedom not to reply at all.

Good luck and personal well-being for the future.

Eberhard, you also have to consider that sometimes the newbie with a problem isn't proficient enough to fully break out the problem or to even understand what is really happening. I don't know how old you are, but it has been literally 45+ years since I first dealt with "real" programming - with FORTRAN and Assembler languages for some late 1960s computers. I sometimes have trouble remembering how awkward I was back then. Do you remember your first few tries at program troubleshooting?

I don't always succeed, but I always try to hold back any extreme negative comments when I see someone doing something so bad that I mentally cringe. Sometimes, like with PaquettePaul's problem, it is just a tricky little formatting issue and isn't a bad thing to ask at all. Sometimes it is such a deep-rooted misconception of what is actually going on that it invites total tear-down and rebuild.

We see folks from ALL levels of skill and many parts of the world, so we deal with experience and language barriers all the time. While it would absolutely be great if we can get a cogent description of a problem, we have to consider (a) language and (b) skill level as being less than ideal for many new members to offer that cogent explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom