mobile apps taking up storage space just for sitting on a phone unused (never opened) (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 07:53
Can anyone tell me why so much storage space is used for almost every mobile app that just SITS on a phone? See attached image. Spotify alone is taking 1.4 GB, and it's not even running! Is there a solution to this? I am going to be downloading many more apps in the future, and all 4 of my phones only have limited storage space (32GB for most of them). the rest of the apps in the attached image have NEVER been opened. just downloaded. I have 4 phones. 3 androids and one iPhone. they all have the same issue.

app_storage_space_usage.jpg

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 21:53
Apps on phones behave like applications on windows. They need a little space for their cache, and some space for their settings etc.
In windows these data is saved to %ProgramData% & %temp% folders.
If you want to bring down the size of the space they are using, you can delete them.

Not sure about iphone.
In android go to settings, Apps & notifications, tap any app you want, tap storage.
You can do nothing about app size. It's the main size of the app.
tap Clear data and clear cache to bring down the total size they're using.

There are cleaner apps that can do this for all apps.

Last edited:

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 07:53
you mean in one swift transaction? because I need that! my cell carrier thought that was impossible. I mean, my God, I've got more than 200 apps and I use many for many different reasons. do you have a recommendation for a good ""cleaner app"" that can dump the "data" and "cache" for every app on my phone all at once?

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 21:53
Even if you clear your apps data, the moment you launch them, they create the data they need and the size grows again. This method can help you to increase your internal storage only for apps you don't use.

I've never used a cleaner, because I need my apps and they need the storage they've used. I had Mcafee security for a while and it could do the task, though I never tested it. But it's a paid app. So it may not suite you.

One of Android's priorities over iPhone is you can use a SD card for your apps. Instead of trying to delete cache and data files of your apps to free your storage, insert a SD card and set your android to use it as an internal storage. Android will move and its data to the SD card and your internal storage will be freed. The process differs in each version of Android. (I have 64GB SD card)
Google How to use SD card as an internal storage in Android
and follow the steps based on your phone's OS version.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:53
The awesome thing about Android is the ability to root and remove the apps that your carrier or phone developer installs without your permission as part of the system apps. The only apps on my phone are the ones I want there. Of course, many of them still have a large cache automatically as mentioned above, but that's easily watched with apps that periodically remove the cache from these apps if the cache is not necessary for the app to function regularly.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:53
Apps on phones behave like applications on windows. They need a little space for their cache, and some space for their settings etc.
In windows these data is saved to %ProgramData% & %temp% folders.
If you want to bring down the size of the space they are using, you can delete them.

Not sure about iphone.
In android go to settings, Apps & notifications, tap any app you want, tap storage.
You can do nothing about app size. It's the main size of the app.
tap Clear data and clear cache to bring down the total size they're using.

Something new to me. Now i know how to downsize the space of the apps if not in use. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom