monitor server performance ? (1 Viewer)

Smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:57
If you go to control panel then administrative tools then performance you see a graph of the server / PC's performance.
How can I extract this data using code so that i can run a package every 15 mins and extract and store the data in a table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Local time
Today, 17:57
Have you looked at the WMI API? I used it about 2 years ago and was amazed at the kind of stuff I could get from the remote.

Smart

Registered User.
Local time
Probably me being thick but what is WMI API and where do i find it

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Hi there,

look up performance monitor in windows server, with this software you can run a trace monitoring various different things such as memory cpu usage blah blah blah. The trace can outputted the a text file and then imported into sql server via dts / ssis.

Incidently if you have sql server 2005 the performance tuning tools are able to read windows performance monitor trace file outputs and suggest database changes accordingly.

Local time
Today, 17:57
Probably me being thick but what is WMI API and where do i find it

Windows Management Instrumentation:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394582.aspx

You can download the SDK from the above to fully take advantage of the API. As I recall, I was able to write VBScript to connect to all my servers and get performance information without even loading any software or SDK, using API calls built right into XP. It has been a while though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom