MS Access Front End and SQL server Backend ? (1 Viewer)

saleemMSMS

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:43
hey
i am planning to implement a Data Management System with the following features
1. using access .mdb (or .accdb) files in the data entry level (since access has forms, i find it as the most easy and quickest way of designing a neat data entry app)
2. Pomp the data gathered by several mdbs to a central SQL Server database.
3. do the analysis in the SQL server database

Please comment on my plan (whether its good or bad) and i need your suggestions as well..
thank you :)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:43
Several mdbs on the same network in the same location? Over the Internet? From different branches over a VPN?

Or you mean data gotten from input from several users using one db?

SQL Server is powerful so you're on the right track there.

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:43
Why do this ---

>> using access .mdb (or .accdb) files in the data entry level <<

You can create your back end in SQL Server, then create what is called Linked Tables in your Access front end, then your data modifications are made right within the SQL Server database ... there is no need for middle tier .mdb.

>> do the analysis in the SQL server database <<

Again, Access is a very poweful tool when it comes to data management as well as data analysis. The format of your data is almost inconsequential. Don't get me wrong -- SQL Server is AWESOME and I use it virtually exclusively for the back end to my applications, but SQL Server is not really an 'analysis' tool for a department or group of people to analyze data trends and such. It is a database management system --- and a premier one at that! The analysis portion of your task will likely take the form of Access Reports and Forms, or even Query objects.

It is my thought that with your indicated goals, Access is will help you accomplish them all --- and using SQL Server as the back end will give you added flexibility of a super database management system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom