MS Windows Server 2003 (1 Viewer)

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:52
Hi,

I have MS Windows Server 2003 machine and I would like to know if you need a special version of Access 2007 to install it on the machine? or can you just buy a regular version of office 2007 and make it go?

Marty H.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 02:52
There is no "special server version" of Office. Just install a normal copy if you want it on the server.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Of course it isn't going to be usable by anyone except on that box (not for use with Terminal Services for example). Or, if you wanted Access to be there so you could run something on the server. But again - the licensing would need to be done differently for a Terminal Services installation.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Bob,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have another question though:

If I use one copy of Access as the Backend on the server, is there any special license arrangement that I need to make before I get the Front end clients using the backend. Each client has their own personal copy of Access (MS office pro).

Many Thanks

PS they are ALL connected via TCP/IP within 1 office.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You do not need Access installed on the server if you just have the back end located there. You would only need it installed if someone were going to physically run the program on the server (sitting at the console). It is actually somewhat unusual to have Access or even Office installed on a file server. As Bob noted, totally different story for Terminal Services.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Then where will I put the backend (the data that is in Access) ?

Regards,

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Then where will I put the backend (the data that is in Access)
The BACKEND can be on the server. You do not need Access installed for it to be there. Each user should have a copy of the frontend on their machine and THEY will need Access or the Access Runtime to run the database.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Are you saying that just the MDB file and nothing else need be there? Isn't the MDB file really access?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, that's what we're saying. You don't need Excel installed on the server to open an Excel file stored there on your PC, you need Excel on your PC. It's the same for Access.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
The difference between an MDB file and the actual Access program ... took me a while but I got it !!

Thanks Guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom