ms word 2003 vs 2007 (1 Viewer)

farhana91

Local time
Yesterday, 21:45
I am using ms word 2007. I do use the version & make a file. Then I transfer the file by a pen-drive to another PC which Contained ms 2003. I had tried to open my file but I can not success. May anybody help me?

godsspeed

Registered User.
Local time
MS Word 2007 saves their files in a different format than MS Word 2003. So much so that if you take a 2007 version document and try to open it on a computer that does not have 2007 (or 2010), the computer will not even recognize the file as a Word document (unless that patch is installed as John hinted at)

another option... you can create the file on your computer with 2007 and simply Save As the 2003 file formate. Then when the document is transfered to the computer with 2003, it will still be able to open the document.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:45
If you have downloaded and installed the compatibility add-in I linked to in my previous post Word '03 will happily open documents made in newer versions of Word.

The same is also true for Excel '03 and newer versions.

amethyst

Local time
I am using ms word 2007. I do use the version & make a file. Then I transfer the file by a pen-drive to another PC which Contained ms 2003. I had tried to open my file but I can not success. May anybody help me?

How does Ms word 2003 work and how does 2007 differs from other version?
I want some clarification regarding this matter.

godsspeed

Registered User.
Local time
ms2007+ uses a different 'format' for the files than what was previously used. So if you try to open a 2007 doc on a pc that does not have the 2007 suite or the previously mentioned add-in installed, the pc will not recognize the 07 doc file at all. it will see that theres a file, but it will not know what program it belongs to.

as already mentioned, you can A) safe the file as a 03 format. this will open just fine on your 03 pc. but you will also have multpile versions for each file. or B) install the add-on on the 03 pc and keep all your files in the 07 format. NOTE: when you open a 03 formatted file in 07, you'll see 'compatibility mode' in the title bar. completely normal... doesnt really mean anything other than some options that were not available in 03 will not be available; unelss you convert it to a 07 formatted file.

file sizes of the 07 format are smaller than when saved in the 03 format...for whatever thats worth to you.

another thing to think about... is if you go with option B (the plug-in) and send this file to anyone else who may also be using MS03...they will not be able to view the document unless they too install the plug-in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom