MultiValue Field Question (1 Viewer)

CanadianAccessUser

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:03
Hello,

I've been doing some reading on multivalue fields and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. My question: Is there a way to use the multivalue field without making it a lookup? I need the user to be able to put multiple values in a field but can't limit them to a list. The field that needs multiple values happens to be for SKU numbers from a large department store franchise.
One work around I've come up with is to have a pop up that asks for the separate sku numbers so they can be used for the value list each time, but then the user also would have to select those from the value list in order to enter it.... too many end user steps.

Any ideas? I want to avoid making 10-15 different fields each for SKU number, Item, and cost... I also need to avoid having to populate my db with the department store's full list of products....

Appreciate any ideas / solutions thrown my way!

Thanks,
Canadian

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
Here is the traditional way to do what MVF are supposed to do.

It would be easier to provide a more focused response if readers were aware of the "business" of your database. What is the database about? Do you have a data model for your data base?

CanadianAccessUser

Registered User.
Local time
Hello jdraw, nice to see you again.

My db is for a call center. This particular database is for a large world wide department store. Any time a customer has an issue with anything at all they call a certain number and get our center. The agent then takes the info from the customer and puts it into my db called "Escalation Tracker". It's a pretty neat tool if I do say so myself... but they've run into an issue. Each escalation is associated with each individual problem, not each individual product that is involved with the problem. When entering the data they only have one field for "SKU" and one for "item" and one for "cost". When there are multiple items involved in the escalation they are currently entering each SKU/Item & Cost like this:
eg. 3 items on receipt (made up for example)
SKU = 123456789/987654321/147852369
Item = Diapers/Bottles/Bibs
Cost = 35.00/15.00/5.00

When they then try to filter their reports by SKU or item, they can't get ALL of the Diapers because the record above wouldn't match the SKU or item they are trying to filter by.

This is where the multivalue field comes in... like I said above, I can't limit them to a drop down of existing SKUs or any new items can't be added, and I can't try to keep up with a current list of this world wide department store's SKUs even if I tried (which I refuse to do).

The link you provided is on the right track, but seems to be the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do.... do you have another link? or maybe some wonderful option that I haven't thought of? :D I'll search too.

Thanks,
Canadian

Last edited:

SmallTomato

Registered User.
Local time
I dont know much about multivalue. I think I would of had it where they enter values for each line item and a table that has the item break down with an escalation ID FK then an escalation ID table with time etc.

Also, hi again :cool:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
CanadianAccessUser

I'm suggesting a design change is probably in order. If your current design does not meet your operational requirements, then I'd be looking at a design change. I work from a business description to database design; then test the model with all current test conditions before getting into the GUI /forms etc.

Seems to me if a Customer could complain/comment on multiple products on 1 call, then database design should accept it.

I don't use and don't advocate use of MVFs -- I think they mask what's going on. Some people do use them. They are often in the forums trying to make them work.

Can you post a copy of your relationships window as a jpg. You'll probably have to zip it.

Last edited:

CanadianAccessUser

Registered User.
Local time
Hi again SmallTomato!

Jdraw: You're right, the db design should accept it. It's just too bad they didn't tell me when I built it! grrrr... haha
I'll find a way. It turns out that the max anyone has called in about on one escalation is around 6 different products. Worst case: add 9 more fields to make it 10 fields total and be done with it. I'm not going to redesign a month of work over it if they're happy with that. :)

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom