Question my 1st d.b (1 Viewer)

crash_ndie

Local time
Today, 22:18
hi all, Ive made my 1st data base the graphics are pants but it has all the stuff I need on it. am stuck with 2 things... I don't think Ive done to bad as am a plumber by trade:eek:

I need it to flag up unpaid jobs, not billed jobs and list the details of the jobs out standing.

and i need it to start as a database not in access with all the ribbons and stuff.

anyone with a clue? i could upload it (i think) and any pointers would be grate!

thanks Danny:D

Attachments

• ECO WORKING.accdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 16:18
You didn't really create a database, you made a spreadsheet in Access. A database consists of related tables that help organize your data and eliminate redundancy and unnecessary fields.

For example, can a customer appear more than once in that table? If so, you create a seperate table for all your customers to hold their data (Name, address, status, post code, etc.) and in your 'MAIN PAGE' table you simple put an ID field which corresponds to a record in your customer table.

Also, calculated fields (JOB COSTS, PROFIT, etc.) shouldn't be used in tables. You should put those into a query and calculate them on the fly. I'm pretty sure there are other issues but I can't say for sure because all I have to go on are field names that don't mean anything to me. If you could post some sample data and add descriptions I could help further.

My main point is, yes this is in Access, but you are leaving functionality on the table. With a little work now, this thing could save your time in the future. Otherwise, you might as well move this to Excel.

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:18
Hi Crash_Ndie

I think an Access Table is like an Excel spreadsheet but, better.

The first thing with Access is getting your head around Tables.
Each different type of thing goes in it's own place - a Table. So you might have a Table for customers called tblCustomer, another Table for your customers' Orders called tblOrder.
Each customer is unique. Each order is unique.
One customer can have many orders
One order can only have one customers

That's pretty tricky to understand until you know how powerful it will be when you store your information this way.

Next thing to learn is Queries - which have the job of bringing the tblCustomer and tblOrder information together in a meaningful way. This is where Access is way better than Excel. Once you have understood Queries you won't go back to Excel!

Once you have your head around Tables and Queries - things start to get really useful. Forms will work with your Queries to show you exactly the type of thing you need to know.

Start with someone like

http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html

dig around on the net - there's loads of beginner stuff that's easy to follow. there are lots of sample databases too - have a look at the structure of those and figure out how they do what they do.

Good luck

Steve C

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom