Need advice: Word vs. Access (1 Viewer)

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:42
Hello:
Need advice about whether to do something from Access or from Word.

What I have is a large number of Word documents that have lots and lots of bookmarks. I need to list all of the bookmarks in each document and eventually compare it to a text file from elsewhere.

I have VBA built in Word to find all the bookmarks in the current document and write that list out to a .txt file. I had thought that my next step would be to write code in Word that would rip through all the documents in the current folder, listing all the bookmarks in each one. Then I'd pull the result text file into Access to do my comparisons.

On the other hand, would it be better to base this all in Access?

Any ideas welcomed.

Chris RR

MikeAngelastro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:42
My choice would be Access. That way you don't have to care what Word document you are dealing with. You could set up an Access app that would be able to analyze other Word docs in many different ways.

This is just a feel. I have not done any VBA in Word. But from a design point of view, it sounds good.

Mike

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:42
Second that decision.

If you are comfortable enough with VBA to do this much Word-smithing, you can write one more little piece to build your table by opening a recordset and storing whatever you get in records that Access can then sort, report, and otherwise work its magic on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom