Need help designing a stock/asset tracking database (1 Viewer)

fat controller

Slightly round the bend..
Local time
Today, 20:32
Forgive me for being really thick, but do you mean the property box as arrowed in this screen grab?

EDIT (again!) - I most definitely WAS being thick, and didn't read your advice properly - I have since done as you suggest, and it works! :) :) I was trying to do it within the Contact Details form, instead of opening the subform in its own right. Thank you once again - I owe you a beer or three someday!

One last thing to solve, if you can help me, is the auto-title on the Check Out Form - - it comes up as #Size! when the Check Out window opens - yet the same autotitle string works perfectly on the Check In window.

Attachments

• Asset Design.jpg
    Asset Design.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 14:32
I was on a completely different form.

Let me take another look.

PS: Yes, my wife enjoyed the wedding. I watched it also. It was a a nice event. Well covered.

Last edited:

fat controller

Local time
Sorry to bump, but thought I had better do so in case you hadn't seen my edit - don't wish to waste your time :)

fat controller

Local time
How strange :confused:

When I click Check Out, and the Check Out form opens, I get this:

The form itself works perfectly, the only issue is the odd auto-title, yet the same auto-title (with only one word changed in the control source) on the Check In form displays this:

Would I be best leaving this title alone for now, in the hope that it will work on another PC (I can try it on my laptop, but the laptop has MS Office installed from the same disc), or would I be as well to replace it with a standard fixed title?

HiTechCoach

Local time
The Check out form by design is bound to the Asset List form. With the current design you can only use it from the Asset list form

fat controller

Local time
The #Size! title is what I get when I use it from the Asset List form, so it must be something that I have done or am missing.

I take it that there is nothing to prevent me changing the title to a fixed one, such as 'Check Out Equipment'? To be honest, I am not fussed if it can't show the item number that is being booked out, that would merely have been a neat touch.

The main thing is, that with your help, I now have a database that works and does exactly what I wanted it to do :)

HiTechCoach

Local time
It should be able to be fixed. It is nice to show the Item number so that you are sure you are one the correct one.

Try changing the font size to a smaller font.

If that does not fix it for you then can you post a current copy of your database for me to test?

Note: You cod just delete the text box and replace it with a label.

fat controller

Local time
I reduced the font size to 10 or 12, and it is still the same. I've attached the current one (complete with titchy font size :D)

As far as I remember, the auto-title didn't work when I was using Office 2007 either, although the message was #Error instead of #Size!

Attachments

• OBE2 - Copy.zip
    335.2 KB · Views: 177

HiTechCoach

Local time
It worked fine for me in with Access 2007 and 2010 with Windows 7 64 bit at 1280x1024 resolution

I made a change to the Check Out title. See if the attached works for you

Attachments

• OBE2_Copy_HiTechCoach.zip
    335.5 KB · Views: 237

fat controller

Local time
No difference with that one either - thanks for trying though :)

The PC I am using at the moment is running Windows 7 32-bit, with screen resolution at 1680 x 1050

I get the same on my laptop (although I admittedly haven't tried your copy on the laptop yet) which is somewhat older, and running Windows Vista (not sure of the resolution off-hand).

The puzzling thing is that the title on the Check In Form works perfectly.

Ah well, such is life - I am sure you have much better things to be doing with your time than sorting out a title on a form.

Thanks again for all your help :)

HiTechCoach

Local time
It works on all my machines from the Assets list form.

See attached screen shot

What concerns me is that if this is not working properly then what else is not working properly.

Attachments

• OBE2_5-3-2011 3-57-08 PM.jpg
    OBE2_5-3-2011 3-57-08 PM.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 235

fat controller

Local time
Ah! There is the difference - I am working within the Asset Details form, not the Asset List - sorry for the confusion :eek:

If I check an item out from the Asset List form, the auto-title works fine, if I check an item out from the Asset Details form, it doesn't :confused:

HiTechCoach

Local time
Ah! There is the difference - I am working within the Asset Details form, not the Asset List - sorry for the confusion :eek:

If I check an item out from the Asset List form, the auto-title works fine, if I check an item out from the Asset Details form, it doesn't :confused:

That is correct.

In post #45 I stated
The Check out form by design is bound to the Asset List form. With the current design you can only use it from the Asset list form

fat controller

Local time
I was being stupid again - sorry :eek:

I doubt that it will be used from the Asset List form, but will be used from the Asset Details form instead - the rest of the Asset Details form works perfectly for checking items in and out, so the auto title feature of the check out window isn't going to cause any problems.

HiTechCoach

Local time
I was being stupid again - sorry :eek:

I doubt that it will be used from the Asset List form, but will be used from the Asset Details form instead - the rest of the Asset Details form works perfectly for checking items in and out, so the auto title feature of the check out window isn't going to cause any problems.

It works fine on my Machine in both Access 2007 and 2010. Not sure why it does not work for you. :confused:

fat controller

Local time
Found out where I was going wrong - I had the Asset Details Form open, but not the Asset List Form - as soon as I opened the Asset List form and then minimised it, all worked fine. :)

HiTechCoach

Local time
That makes sense. I was always viewing the Asset detail from the Asset list. I would close the asset detail and go back to the list each time to select the next asset.

fat controller

Local time
I'll rework it so that the Asset List is the first form to open, and make it show as form view, and make it so that it can be minimised but not closed, and then run the other forms from there.

Thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom