Need Help Moving Linked Access Database to a MSSQL Server (1 Viewer)

airhendrix13

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:48
Hi,
My access database's tables are currently linked to an excel document. My question is, how do I move my database to the network? Currently when I move the the database to the network no one can open my tables because the link goes to my documents on my computer which they can't access on the network.
So how do I move the database and maintain the link between the database and my tables?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan Smith

Jonathan Kok

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
Are you actually converting your database to SQL Server, or are you just moving the database file to a folder on a server that happens to also have SQL Server installed?
I'm assuming the latter.
After you've moved the database, open it and click on 'Tools-->Database Utilities-->Linked Table Manager'. Re-link your tables to the proper files. Since you're doing it from your computer, you'll have to check the 'always prompt for new location' checkbox at the bottom of the form. Link them with a UNC pathname, ie, '\\computername\sharename\foldername\filename'.
Unfortunately, Access links tables as absolute path names, instead of relative path names. Which makes moving things around a bit of a pain.

Last edited:

airhendrix13

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:48
Alright thank you very much!

I guess that means I need to find that darn Access disk!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom