Need some advice (1 Viewer)

Johny

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:26
For now I have 20 comboboxes on my form each bound to a field from my sourcetable. Since ya can only choose 1 value in a combobox, the users want to to choose multiple values in each box. How should I implement this?
I can't use 20 listboxes because I haven't got any free space left on my form.

Can somebody giove me some good advice on this?

thanx in advance,

Johnny

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:26
what are the combo boxes that need multiple values to be selected. if you need a range cant you give your users a start and end cbo box to enable this. if the selections need to be more varied, then you probably need to pop up a selection form, and enable them to select what they want.

however if you have loads of cboboxes all with multi select, you will have a devil of a job processing the query.

Johny

Registered User.
Local time
Well, all those comboxes have string values. So I can't give any ranges.
ex. Customer, Country, Product, Basin, ...

All these 20 cmboxes should have multiselect.I was lookin' for an easy solution. :+/

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26
You can't select multiple values from a combo. I don't understand why you would want to. Is this a search form?

Johny

Registered User.
Local time
You misunderstood.

I have to adapt an existing access appl. The form exists of +- 20 comboboxes.
But now the users want to choose multiple values for each field. So I am askin' if someone knows a solution for this because I can't just change them into 20 listboxes, the form is already to crowded :(

yea it's a searchform

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:26
The problem is that if your users pick selective data from 20 comboboxes, you will have to write a query to process that.

You would probably not to able to construct a query to do this. You would probably have to iterate every row of the base query/table in a recordset and test every field against your comboboxes to do this.

As an alternative, can you deal with this by thinking laterally. Let your users save a spreadsheet of the full query (or an easily achieved subset), and then they can edit the spreadsheet, or prepare a pivot table from it, to extract whatever info they actually need.

Johny

Registered User.
Local time
Well the program already exists and it works perfectly with those 20 comboboxes. The person who programmed it, just declared each afterupdate event of the combobox to construct the sql string and execute it when pushing the 'Search' button.
I just started to rewrite the whole program because it's a pain the ass just looking at the code.

I have to keep in mind that 99% of my users are not pc minded. So I gotta keep it very simple, I think when ya include the Excel functionality like ya said, I know for sure I am gonna make it to difficult.

1 person told me to change all the comboboxes to listboxes and add a 'Edit' button to each lb. When clicking the button the height of lb increases, when clicking again it decreases. It should take about the same place as those comboboxes. This could be 1 solution but I was wondering if someone had an other solution, so I can choose the best appropiate solution for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom