Need some help getting started (1 Viewer)

BOBMalta

Local time
Today, 01:03
Hi everyone, so I need some help getting started. Obviously, I totally understand that I will need to do my own research but I just need a basic plan on what to look for.

I need to create a database where I can store data entered from a front end that is shared by multiple people. So, I enter data from the front end and it all gets stored in the main database. Each record needs to have its own serial number that is assigned automatically when I save the data from the front end. So, for each record, a new unique serial number is assigned. +1 to the serial number of the previous record.

The front end needs to be a form where I can enter the NAME, EMAIL, DATE, of a person... This will also need to include multiple questions whose answers will be YES or NO.

Again, each form that is filled in from the front end needs to be stored in the backend with a unique serial number.

Thank you all so much for your time!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:03
This will also need to include multiple questions whose answers will be YES or NO.

You might find this approach useful to achieving your goal:-

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:03
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Have you looked at Microsoft in case there's a template that fits your needs?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:03
I'll give you a reading list (or actually, a "search for topics for reading" list).

First keyword: Normalization (if searching this forum) or Database Normalization (if searching the web). Read a few .EDU sites first before diving into the .COM articles. (Because the .COM articles often have something to sell...)

Second keyword: Autonumber (as a way to assure unique numbering)

Third keyword: Questionnaire (in this forum) or Survey (in this forum).

Fourth keyword: Database splitting - to avoid issues with front-end locking problems.

LarryE

Local time
Each Questionnaire Date will have separate questionnaire questions to be completed? For example, 'John' could have several questionnaires completed and 'Joan' could have several etc. Is that correct?

BOBMalta

Local time
Each Questionnaire Date will have separate questionnaire questions to be completed? For example, 'John' could have several questionnaires completed and 'Joan' could have several etc. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct if I am understanding you correctly. Basically, the users will need to review data based on these questions. For example: every month I will need to review data for "John" using the questionnaire question which are YES/NO answers. Hope that makes sense.

BOBMalta

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Have you looked at Microsoft in case there's a template that fits your needs?
I still have to go through the templates properly, to be honest. Thought I post my question here maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
Typically you will have a survey table that defines each survey. Then a child table with one row per question.
Then you have a Respondent table with a child table for each survey and the date it was taken. Then you have the answers table with a row for each question.

To start a new survey, you define the Respondent if he doesn't already exist and then enter a RespondantSurvey record by choosing a survey. The afterUpdate event of this combo box runs an append query that copies the questionID for all the questions assigned to the selected survey and appends them with a foreign key pointing to the RespondantSurvey. Then the Respondent answers each question and you do whatever you want with the results.

I have a sample but it is much more complicated. I'll try to clean it up and simplify it.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:03
I still have to go through the templates properly, to be honest. Thought I post my question here maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
The attached has the Database sample together with the User Manual.

Attachments

• Very Good Survey Creation Example.zip
    584.5 KB · Views: 338

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Here's another option. I see mike beat me to it:)

Attachments

• surveyExampleSimple.zip
    818.3 KB · Views: 308

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
hi
The key thing is your instance is understanding how to create a table from design view, once you create the table, you can use form wizard to create the data entry form.

check the article link, its easy to follow with images as guide

LarryE

Local time
Hi everyone, so I need some help getting started. Obviously, I totally understand that I will need to do my own research but I just need a basic plan on what to look for.

I need to create a database where I can store data entered from a front end that is shared by multiple people. So, I enter data from the front end and it all gets stored in the main database. Each record needs to have its own serial number that is assigned automatically when I save the data from the front end. So, for each record, a new unique serial number is assigned. +1 to the serial number of the previous record.

The front end needs to be a form where I can enter the NAME, EMAIL, DATE, of a person... This will also need to include multiple questions whose answers will be YES or NO.

Again, each form that is filled in from the front end needs to be stored in the backend with a unique serial number.

Thank you all so much for your time!
How are you doing so far Bob? What other questions do you have?

LarryE

Local time
It seems you have multiple people that may have multiple questionnaires (or just one) that may have multiple questionnaire dates that may have multiple questions for each date, each with an answer. This can get quite complicated and may take you some time if starting from scratch even if you know ACCESS well. In addition, once the database is constructed, tested and working, then you want multiple users to have access to it, which means splitting it, moving the back-end file (where the data tables are stored) to a network drive and distributing the working front-end to multiple users. And it's going to take some VBA coding if I am understanding your requirements correctly. When you speak of "serial numbers" that need to be assigned in sequence, are you taking about the Primary Keys that are used in each table when you design the table, or something else? ACCESS can assign these Primary Key numbers automatically if that's what you are talking about.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Bob was given two working samples 3 days ago and hasn't bothered to review them and comment.

LarryE

Local time
Did you want question numbers assigned to each number and did you want the ability to view and edit multiple respondents and multiple dates and multiple answers at the same time? Your answers will determine how data will need to be presented on the screen.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Larry, did you look at the working samples? You keep posting here but the author is MIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom