New forum sections - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:14
Sweet!

Yes, I think Question would be a great default. Otherwise I may do as most are doing in Modules VBA forum...and allow it to default to Discussion, by forgetfulness. :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:14
It's not letting me changing it because there are already Discussions in there, as opposed to Questions. I will have a look during the week to see if there are some procedures I can run to convert the existing Discussions to Questions to get around the issue.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The options seem to be convert it to a Questions only forum, or allow Discussions, Polls, Questions, but then you cannot default to the Questions tab, you have to manually select it. Your choice.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Understood. I'd say convert it to a Questions only forum. It has the advantages, and I can't really think of any disadvantages.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
One disadvantage is below:

1617660418807.png

It doesn't say if you will lose threads, or may lose threads. It is unclear. I think it probably won't lose the threads, but I cannot be sure. They may have put that because if you had a poll and then convert the forum to Questions only, maybe the poll data goes. Who knows!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
If you want to go for it that's fine with me. It wouldn't take me long to re-post my Informational stuff anyway

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All done now. Please note you no longer have the Polls or Discussion options, as previously mentioned.

Edit: Looks like you didn't lose anything.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome. I do think its a good idea to take advantage of the Questions feature.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Notice this in the PowerApps forum. Could be useful:

1617723956015.png

Nice way to sort the threads.

It looks like it hasn't updated your earlier posts. Maybe I will have a go at converting them, if easy enough.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
OK, I managed to do the conversion. Everything is now a Question.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thanks, I'll start using this method to make at least one reply and mark as solved as well in order to avoid confusion. Unless I actually post a question with no solution

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've been taking a look at how many posts are in the various forum sections and feel many are getting a little tired. Take the Apps and Windows section for example. Crystal Reports has about 7 new threads in the last 5 years, so how much of a contribution is it actually making to these forums? VB.NET seemed busy in 2019, but then seems to have gone dead.

Next, take a look at the Microsoft Access Reference section. Should we not order the forums according to frequency of posts? How about putting Sample Databases at the top, followed by Code Repository?

Feedback and your thoughts are welcome, as are ideas for new forum sections. We recently added PowerApps, but maybe there are other ideas that can add value to the forums.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
All done now. Please note you no longer have the Polls or Discussion options, as previously mentioned.

Edit: Looks like you didn't lose anything.
One tiny thing ... When I solve a thread that I've posted, it doesn't seem to generate the light-green-filled SOLVED tag in the headline/thread title.
Of course I can just put that in the thread title which is no problem. Just mentioning it in case it's a super easy change to make.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It uses a tick in a circle instead. Did you notice that?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have seen the tick in the circle but I didn't know what it was!

Umpire

Local time
As a Noob, maybe a forum that is for those just starting out in Access/VBA

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have seen the tick in the circle but I didn't know what it was!

I should mention this is on mobile, and again on mobile, I see a question mark in a circle. I presume it means that the question is a question? Although I'm uncertain as to why a question should need a logo to define it as a question? Question!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Uncle Gizmo It depends on what you are referring to when you say a question mark in a circle. Do you mean when viewing a list of forums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom