New York - New York - they named it? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
I'm not sure the people that are doing the following can count, so I didn't put a number on the number of times New York has been named.

Mind you, the song goes on to mention "vice" ...

I think that's relevant to the current New York politics..

I don't understand this attack on pizza ovens. I can only guess it's some sort of virtue signalling.

It begs the question if the conglomerate of coal fired pizza oven (I should think they mean charcoal) is capable of making a significant contribution to CO2 levels, then I would question how much CO2 is required to convert a man into a woman? I think it might be quite surprising how much CO2 that would use!

You must fight fire with fire, of course it must be from a non-CO2 producing fire!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
A Comment in the video led me to question how much CO2 is generated in the production of pink hair dye. I asked my mate ChatGPT to enlighten me and this is a copy of our exchange:-

Calculate CO2 for pink dye​

Is it possible to calculate how much CO2 is generated in the process of creating pink hair dye

Sure, calculating the CO2 emissions for making pink hair dye would involve multiple steps. You'd need to consider raw materials, manufacturing, and transportation. But getting exact numbers would be tricky without specific data.

Can you make a list of the specific data required

Absolutely. To calculate CO2 emissions for making pink hair dye, you'd need:
  1. Raw Material Extraction: Carbon footprint for each raw ingredient.
  2. Manufacturing: Energy consumption and emissions from the production process.
  3. Transportation: Emissions for shipping raw materials and finished products.
  4. Packaging: Emissions from producing and disposing of the packaging.
  5. Waste Management: Emissions from waste generated during production.
And what ingredients would you find in a typical pink hair dye please create a list

Sure, a typical pink hair dye might contain:
  1. Water
  2. Ammonia
  3. Hydrogen Peroxide
  4. Resorcinol
  5. p-Phenylenediamine
  6. Aminomethyl Propanol
  7. Fragrance
  8. Ethanolamine
  9. Cetearyl Alcohol
  10. Pink Pigment or Dye
Are you able to provide an estimate of how much pink hair dye is sold in the USA

I don't have real-time data, but the U.S. hair color market was valued around $2.4 billion in 2019. Pink hair dye would be a subset of that. It's hard to give an exact figure without specific data.

The creation of ammonia produces CO2 I believe

Yes, you're correct. Ammonia production typically uses the Haber-Bosch process, which is energy-intensive and does generate CO2 emissions.

What about hydro peroxide how much CO2

Hydrogen peroxide production usually involves the anthraquinone process. It's less energy-intensive than ammonia production but still generates some CO2, mainly from energy use.

What is Resorcinol

Resorcinol is an organic compound used as a dyeing agent. It's often in hair dyes for color stability. It's produced from benzene, and its production can emit CO2.

ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT September 25 Version

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:14
You must fight fire with fire, of course it must be from a non-CO2 producing fire!

But most non-carbon flammable items produce WORSE gases than CO2. For instance, magnesium burns to produce airborne magnesium oxides. Most flammable metals create lung irritants that give you reactions similar to extreme allergy symptoms. The only obvious flammable material that isn't carbon based is instead hydrogen based. That burns to give you hot water vapor, which - other than being scalding hot - is relatively safe in small exposure.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:14
Having worked in a plant that manufactured hair dye (Clairol) (our dev team was housed in a mezzanine above the shop floor), you have no idea how toxic an Ammonia spill is. They would actually evacuate the entire building when one happened. It brings me back to my high school chemistry class where we made ammonia gas in test tubes by heating nitrogen and hydrogen. The teacher did tell us to uncork our generators with the top facing away. Of course, I was sloppy about it, not realizing the impact and almost knocked myself over with the smell.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:14
Can't tell you how often a well-ventilated (so-called) fume hood saved me from permanent lung scarring. But then I was a chemist working with all sorts of foul-smelling and dangerous chemicals. Red fuming nitric acid at high concentrations is no picnic either.

And, unfortunately, I remember enough from those lab days that I can fully support and agree with your warning about toxicity of an ammonia spill.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:14
It's a good thing they don't let high school juniors play with the really dangerous stuff. That one little whiff was like a full on punch in the face. Sure made a believer out of me. One of life's many little lessons Don't take warnings from experts casually. I never told the teacher so I still got my A+ in lab.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 23:14
Survived my chemistry labs too... many bad smells, or possible explosions, from ammonia to H2S to CS2 and more. And then kept my students safe too - as you say don't play with the dangerous stuff - but they (boys) always like anything that produces H2S! and the fascination with Mercury. Organic chemistry was always interesting, eg stopping at di- rather than triNT! Measure carefully!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom