newbie table question.. (1 Viewer)

B

Bellah

Hello, (pls scuse my english, it's not good) I'm a newbie to Access and I'm learning access I'm trying out one scenario to see if I can do it but I'm stuck..
main scenario is that a local company has decided to computerise their wage systems, but the wage system is very confusing.. data modeling has already been done in this example but as I understand the boxes(entities) in ERD becomes tables right? so I have like five tables.. Pay method, Employ type, Employ, Department, Division..

I know what to do with Employ, Department and Division but Pay method and Employ type is confusing for me I don't know how to work out attributes (fields) for these.. I have four different paying methods depending on 7 different types of categories of employees.. how would it work?

Also if you guys have any links that explains sort of similar scenario I would appreciate it very much.. thank you..

Oh and since I'm a newbie I'd appreciate it if you give me a simple answer not complex solutions,

littlegod

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:08
Hi Bellah,

Let's clarify

There are 7 types of Employees;
There are 4 paying methods;

Can all 7 types of Employees be paid by the 4 paying methods or let's say Employee types 1,2 and 3 get paid by method 1, Employee type 4 and 5 get paid by method 3 etc?

So far i'm thinking that you need a junction table, create a table for Employee types, another for pay methods and then one more;
The new table is the junction table, you create a field called e.g. EmplPayID, set it to autonumber and primary key as usual, the next field is the Employee type field, set it to lookup, run the wizard and link it to your employee type table, one more field now for the Pay method, again lookup wizard and then link it to your pay method;
In this new table you can now assign any of your pay methods to any of your employee types...

However if i misunderstood your question....

cheers,

Dan

B

Bellah

Hello littlegod, you're right you've understood my question but I've never heard of junction tables before? I thought we were allwoed to make only as many tables as the number of entities we get after we're done with data modeling? for example in my case I have 5 so I can only make 5 tables, no? oh another thing i'm making a relational database, by the way my paying methods have four categories, weekly, monthly, quaterly and annually..

thanks for your patience :)

Last edited:
B

Bellah

hmmm, maybe juction tables are those tables that we make to break many-to-many relationships? anyways I think I've worked it out somehow, since it's a relational database the employ type is automatically linked to pay method..

But now my question is how do I set up Tax-to-date field in employee table, which is 25% of the salary..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom