Newbie to Windows Mobile... Please explain a few things... (1 Viewer)

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 15:33
I've just bought myself a Glofiish M810 mobile phone - it has Windows Mobile 6 on it. I previously owned (and loved) a Palm Treo running PalmOS.

So I'm a newbie to Windows Mobile, and I'm finding a few things a little bit alien, particularly:

Applications don't really close. When I click the 'X' in the top right corner of the screen, the application goes away, but it's still running. If I open Task Manager (or the Running Tasks tab in the memory Applet in Settings), I can see it still running.
I can see that in many cases, it might be desirable to keep an application loaded and running - next time it is called for, it's already there.
BUT... If the application in question wants to talk to the network and I close it, then walk away from a networked area (or turn off WiFi to save power), the application (still running, but hidden) tries to get a network connection and causes the phone to connect via modem, etc.

Aside from using Task Manager, how can I actually close an application when I'm finished with it?

Also...

How do I configure system sounds? When I click 'Stop All' in Task Manager, it kills all running programs, then makes a loud chiming sound. I can't find how to change this sound. It isn't one of the choices in the Sounds and Alerts applet,

dtaylor

Local time
Today, 08:33
Hey,

I also came from the PalmOS but I really like WM. Here's how to fix your task manager issue:
Start>>Settings>>System Tab>>Task Manager>>Button Tab>>Select "End programs by tapping "X"

Hope this helps...feel free to ask away.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Thanks for that, but... there is no Task Manager object in the System tab of my settings.

The other problem - the noisy task manager - it turned out the task manager applet wasn't a native one - but was supplied by the phone manufacturer, so I've uninstalled it and will choose a different one, if I need one.

Edited to add: the end programs option you mentioned seems to be a bit of custom software developed by HTC for their phones - fortunately, it looks as though they have released it as freeware, so it might solve both of my problems in one hit.

Thanks

Last edited:

dtaylor

Local time
Edited to add: the end programs option you mentioned seems to be a bit of custom software developed by HTC for their phones - fortunately, it looks as though they have released it as freeware, so it might solve both of my problems in one hit.

Thanks

Funny thing about that...I own an HTC phone...hope you get it worked out.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
I installed HTC's X Button utility and it only half works on my phone - some applications get properly closed, others seem to slip through the net.

I'll have to try a few other task managers - there are a couple out there that also promise the 'close apps on X' thing.

dtaylor

Local time
do you have a task manager button/icon on your main screen? if so that should take you to the settings. i just googled your phone...nice!

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
There was a task manager icon on the main screen, but that's the one I uninstalled, because it made a loud noise when it finished stopping everything, and there was no way to configure it otherwise. I can reinstall it if I change my mind, but I think I'll try out a few other task managers first.

I'm generally pleased with the phone - I chose this one because of the slide-out keyboard - which I thought I would miss, having come from the Treo, but had I realised the 'Block recognition' entry option was identical to old-style Palm Graffiti, I might have chosen a slimmer model without the keyboard (I had a Sony Clié before my two Treos).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom