AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:36
Our CIO said 100mm but T mobil says "more than 50 million"

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:36

When I first came across that article, it looked ho-hum. Based on the deceptive headline, I figured - Another data breach, an Oops on Microsoft's part.

A closer look revealed that it wasn't a mistake on Microsoft's part, nor a 'defect'. It was users not thoroughly understanding their configuration options before deploying.

I have almost become numb to so-called data breaches. 90% of the time the data that was leaked or stolen was the same data you can pay a nominal fee and purchases lists of, anyway.

So some people in Russia now have my name, address and date of birth. I've worked for clients before who were in marketing, those lists can be easily bought, and some of them aren't very expensive, if you're not a perfectionist and will accept partly aged data.

My client used to amaze me with stories about how specific the lists are. He said something along the lines of: "If I wanted to buy a list today, specifically for ____ ethnicity, ____ age, who were mid-level managers, with 2 children, who own an SUV and have bought a grill in the last 30 days I could" (he would go on to list particularity after particularity until it got impressive). And I believed him, as I wrote scripts to manipulate many of his very interesting lists.

I think the media over sells these stories a little bit. Anyone can obtain all your basic data. All you need to worry about is your passwords and try not to lose physical control over your phone, IDs, text messages and emails. Those are the 4 elements that will be necessary to obtain credit and really use it. I haven't been able to open any significant account without those for 15 years.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Anyone can obtain all your basic data.
Some of us can access much much more :cool:
Every place you've ever lived.
Every person who you've ever lived with. (and all their info)
Every relative & associates. (and all their info)
Every phone number you've ever had.
Every vehicle you've ever owned and who owned it before and after you.
Every email address
Aliases, DOB, full Soc. Sec.#
Voter Registrations, even fishing licenses.
Every arrest, speeding ticket, police interaction, lawsuits.
Every social media account.

Thats all from only one source. The list goes on.

There's really no such thing as privacy.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Note to self...be really nice to Moke. :p

That is scary, almost makes it surprising that identity theft isn't more rampant than it already is.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
yep - anyone who can figure out how to sign up for an Accurint-for-Collections (for example) subscription (and willing to attest to their industry, with minimum verification), can get that, we had that in collections when I was basically a kid--which is scary in itself, given the characters I saw working in that industry. of course, i saw many of them lose their jobs and some prosecuted for mis-using it, but it's easy to get.

"Don't let your talent take you, where your character can't keep you"

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
yep - anyone who can figure out how to sign up for an Accurint-for-Collections (for example) subscription (and willing to attest to their industry, with minimum verification), can get that, we had that in collections when I was basically a kid--which is scary in itself, given the characters I saw working in that industry. of course, i saw many of them lose their jobs and some prosecuted for mis-using it, but it's easy to get.

"Don't let your talent take you, where your character can't keep you"
Even the P.I.'s in my state can't get what I can.
Back in the day I had a connection who could tell me every bank account you had, every brokerage account and what stocks you owned, all the way down to what ATM's you've been using.

The info is out there, you just gotta know how to get it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Even the P.I.'s in my state can't get what I can.
Back in the day I had a connection who could tell me every bank account you had, every brokerage account and what stocks you owned, all the way down to what ATM's you've been using.

The info is out there, you just gotta know how to get it.

You're the coolest guy I know, Moke! Don't doubt it for a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom