Normalising An Access 2003 A Single Table Database (1 Viewer)

Acceesbility

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:22
In the course of reviewing my options to recreate a single table database as a relational mdb, I have a few questions.

Is it possible to Normalise a single table ( with data) in an existing Access 2003 Database or do I have to start from scratch and manually re-enter the data?

I realise that any queries etc would need to be re-created to accommodate the normalised and related tables. There are a couple of printable reports for filing that I like the layout of would they need to be recreated too?

I'd appreciate some input should anyone be kind enough to share.

Of course it may be best to start from scratch but I don't want to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily either.

Thanks

:)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:22
Is it possible to Normalise a single table ( with data) in an existing Access 2003 Database or do I have to start from scratch and manually re-enter the data?

I don't really know what you trying to ask, but to what you have asked, yes you can. Now, here's what I would do:

Move your source table to a blank database and name that table 'source'. Then create the tables you will need to properly structure your database. Next, move your data from 'source' to the new tables. This may involve adding columns to 'source' so you can properly move data in 1-many relationships to their new tables.

Once you have good, populated tables, I would make a copy of that database, name it 'Backup1'. From there I would rebuild my reports. Bring one report over from the old system, then make it work. Most likely that will involve building a new queries. Keep moving reports until you have all them moved. If you have forms, well, those are probably worthless and you will need to completely start from scratch on those--use the old forms for reference if needed.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 10:22
Also, keep in mind that normalizing will likely require a series of append and possibly even update queries run in sequence.

Once you have the normalized structure built, make a step-by-step plan of what will need to be done; IE - these records are added to this table, then this data is added to that table, then the (currently blank) foreign key in the first table will be updated with the new Primary Key values from the second table, etc, etc, etc.

Acceesbility

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:22
plog and Frothingslosh

Yes my question wasn't great but you got the just of it and have given me some food for thought, that's what I was seeking.

Thanks for the data input :D

:)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:22
Acceesbility,

It is extremely rare to have a 1 table database.

Spend 30-45 minutes working through this database tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary.
You will learn about database design and what you learn can be used with any database.

Don't overlook the article on Hernadez.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom