Northwind 2.0 Feedback (1 Viewer)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:50
I have Access 2013. Can I download Northwind?
What language and regional Windows settings do you use? If you can see it in either Access or on the Featured Access Templates page for your region, yes you can download it.

We don't necessarily have tests to confirm it runs under A2013, but I have successfully run it on A2010, so I'd be delighted to hear of your experience with A2013.

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 10:50
I was trying to ask WHY you got the error in the first place. As noted, we experienced it in an early version which was quickly replaced with a version that doesn't cause the error. If you downloaded the template before the fix (and that would have been within the first day or so of the "soft launch") the line in the macro I quoted won't be there. If it is there, and you still get an error, that's what we need to know.
The macro macMainMenu_UpdateSubs is not in NW2-DEV.

Tested with starter edition: same error ... I also expected this, as the error is triggered at the 1st application start over Autoexec and Startup().
Note: "on error ... goto next" exists in macMainMenu_UpdateSubs of starter edition.

Test sequence:
  1. Change error trapping to 'Break on all errors"
  2. Close Access
  3. Create a new database from template.

Last edited:

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 03:50
What language and regional Windows settings do you use? If you can see it in either Access or on the Featured Access Templates page for your region, yes you can download it.

We don't necessarily have tests to confirm it runs under A2013, but I have successfully run it on A2010, so I'd be delighted to hear of your experience with A2013.
Thanks George. USA is my setting.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
The macro macMainMenu_UpdateSubs is not in NW2-DEV.

Tested with starter edition: same error ... I also expected this, as the error is triggered at the 1st application start over Autoexec and Startup().
Note: "on error ... goto next" exists in macMainMenu_UpdateSubs of starter edition.

Test sequence:
  1. Change error trapping to 'Break on all errors"
  2. Close Access
  3. Create a new database from template.
I have never seen that error in Northwind Dev version. Only in Starter.

By the way, I have to admit that I am not thrilled with the idea of changing this or any other Access options via code in any user's Access installation as it would potentially impact all other accdbs they use. I can see managing an individual accdb for deployment. I can't see trying to manage a user's Access installation.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:50
@Josef P.
Whilst I can see some use in setting the option to Break On all Errors whilst in development, I'd never consider using that for files that are deployed.
I'd be interested to know why that is your default setting.

Josef P.

Local time
I develop with this option because it takes me directly to the error line when testing. Unfortunately, this is a VBA-wide setting that cannot be set for each application.
By the way, this is another advantage of providing an accde for the users, because an accde runs something like "Break on unhandled errors".
I don't want to go into any more detail here, otherwise it would go beyond the scope of the thread. ;)

Note: I don't have a problem with the error when creating the NW2 because I simply change the error trapping setting while the code is stopped at the error and then let the code continue. I just wanted to point this out in case there are people who think the template is broken when an error occurs.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
"I don't have a problem with the error when creating the NW2 because I simply change the error trapping setting while the code is stopped at the error and then let the code continue"

That's the whole point to trying to get you to answer directly: does the error occur or does it not occur "out of the box", with no changes to options.

Templates like this one are not supposed to raise errors in the first place. Perhaps, for you, "it's not a problem" because you just go alter the behavior of the template.

"I just wanted to point this out in case there are people who think the template is broken when an error occurs."

Yes, that's why it matters! We do not want errors to occur if they can be prevented in the first place. Most people would assume it's broken and dismiss it. dismiss the template without trying it out.

Thanks, though. We did get to the answer in the end.

Your feedback and help is invaluable.

Last edited:

BAntar

Local time
Please Anyone!
I have a Microsoft Office 2010 64 bit, the template don't work for me... can you Upload ACCDB Files for me. Thanks in Advance.

tvanstiphout

Local time
Check this out: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-edition-32eb79d2-bede-4ea4-b575-0714ca8dc1e2
It lists at the very top the versions of Access that are supported: Access for Microsoft 365 Access 2021 Access 2019
Your version is not among them.
It is very unlikely to work, because we use layout grid and control anchoring, features which were not available in A2010. Software is rarely forward compatible.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Check this out: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-edition-32eb79d2-bede-4ea4-b575-0714ca8dc1e2
It lists at the very top the versions of Access that are supported: Access for Microsoft 365 Access 2021 Access 2019
Your version is not among them.
It is very unlikely to work, because we use layout grid and control anchoring, features which were not available in A2010. Software is rarely forward compatible.

Hi Tom
Sorry to disagree but layout grids & anchoring were both available in A2010.

1691676193702.png

I've just checked and in fact, NW2 DOES seem to run perfectly in that version (both Dev & Starter editions) though I haven't checked each feature

1691675970822.png

Actually,

tvanstiphout

Local time
Thanks for the correction Colin. I thought those features had come later.
One feature that is certainly not there is Modern Chart, but at least in 2016 the reports open just fine, and the label behind the chart will show a message that charts are not supported in this version.

So it appears BAntar has an environmental problem. Maybe an Office Repair (if available in that version) would be in order.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I haven’t seen any modern charts in NW2 but in A2010 those would also open and just have a blank space where the chart should be.
AFAIK you haven’t used the new Large Integer or Date Time extended data types so I see no obvious reason why NW2 wouldn’t work for @BAntar

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I played around with NW2 in 64bit 365 and 32bit 2010.

what I found was if you opened the template in 365, save and closed, then opened in 2010 you get errors

if you open the template in 2010, save and close you then got errors if opened in 365

I didn’t test all the functionality but if you create from template in each Access version it seems to work OK. What I couldn’t do was share the same file in both versions (I don’t mean at the same time), not sure why since the code should be compatible since it otherwise seems to work

I downloaded my file from (I think) the AUG site when George demoed it, not from the template now available in access.

I advised George of the issues and workaround at the time, don’t know if that would subsequently have been fixed

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I played around with NW2 in 64bit 365 and 32bit 2010.

what I found was if you opened the template in 365, save and closed, then opened in 2010 you get errors

if you open the template in 2010, save and close you then got errors if opened in 365

I didn’t test all the functionality but if you create from template in each Access version it seems to work OK. What I couldn’t do was share the same file in both versions (I don’t mean at the same time), not sure why since the code should be compatible since it otherwise seems to work

I downloaded my file from (I think) the AUG site when George demoed it, not from the template now available in access.

I advised George of the issues and workaround at the time, don’t know if that would subsequently have been fixed
I would have to go back through various discussions to find your comments, so I don't know what has and hasn't been addressed. We are prepping a "2.2" version for release in what we hope will be the near future, though.

I remember being able to open the reconstituted accdb from the template in Access 2010. However, I didn't try to re-open that same copy of the accdb in both versions (2010 and MS 365), so I wasn't aware of that factor. It doesn't surprise me that there would be complications.

The basic strategy remains. The templates are designed to work for Access 2019 and later. Anything prior to that is a bonus to the extent that it does work in your environment.

BAntar

Local time
I am unable to replicate what you described above.
1. The 2 new Northwind template icons appeared in the File...New menu a couple of days ago. Nothing was installed.

2. I then installed both of the templates and 2 ACCDT files were copied to my Templates folder:

View attachment 107699
The corresponding ACCDB files were created in a folder of my choice

3. I followed your steps above and deleted the 2 ACCDT files completely. I also removed the 2 ACCDB files that I had created from the templates.
On reopening Access, the two Northwind icons were still visible BUT there were no ACCDT files in my Templates folder.
Nothing was installed automatically
Please can you Upload ACCDB files, for i have a problem with accdt files.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I can't provide the original accdb files. What problem do you have with accdt files?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry, but as the Northwind app isn't mine, it isn't appropriate for me to upload it here as ACCDB.
Using the template should be straightforward

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Good morning. Guten Tag.

Peter Doering reports that the NW templates are now appearing in his German Access.

German.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom