Northwind 2.0 (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 09:24
I managed to finally snag the new Northwind and I was really surprised when I opened the relationship window to see a huge spiderweb. I always thought that you shouldn't be able to trace your way from point A to point B via multiple paths as that would mean a possible circular problem (excluding particular one way joins). Obviously those who made Northwind are much, much smarter then myself but I am curious as to why the tables and relationships are the way they are.

I assume my assumption about tracing paths wasn't quite accurate based on this? I also see that, for an example, Orders has multiple relationships with Companies and I have personally never seen that before.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 06:24
It's a result of converting the source accdb to a template and back into a new accdb. We have found no way to preserve a layout in the relationship window. It all goes to mush. Our team is working on updates (no estimated ship date quite yet but we hope to be able to do so before the end of the year, if all goes well). Part of that is to include a more readable relationship diagram in the on-line documentation.

Orders are sold to customers.
Orders are delivered by shippers.

Both customers and shippers are companies.

Look at the Customer table for details.

1687873833909.png

tmyers

Local time
Ah that makes sense.
I also just noticed the custom ribbon and am reading up on how to do that because that is really nice. It looks really professional, makes it look like a standalone application that isnt just Access and saves space on the forms while not having buttons repeat across said forms. I had no idea something like that could even be done.

I have a feeling the rest of my day will be taken up tearing this apart and looking at all the new shiny things :ROFLMAO:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I managed to finally snag the new Northwind and I was really surprised when I opened the relationship window to see a huge spiderweb. I always thought that you shouldn't be able to trace your way from point A to point B via multiple paths as that would mean a possible circular problem (excluding particular one way joins). Obviously those who made Northwind are much, much smarter then myself but I am curious as to why the tables and relationships are the way they are.

I assume my assumption about tracing paths wasn't quite accurate based on this? I also see that, for an example, Orders has multiple relationships with Companies and I have personally never seen that before.
We have a couple of screenshots now, one in Dark Theme, one in Light Theme.

Which do you think works best?

Attachments

• NW2-Dev-WhiteTheme.png
    NW2-Dev-WhiteTheme.png
    401.9 KB · Views: 88
  • NW2-Dev-DarkTheme.png
    NW2-Dev-DarkTheme.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 76

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:24
Although I use dark themes on a lot of things I actually think it is marginally easier to read in the white one.

tmyers

Local time
Although I use dark themes on a lot of things I actually think it is marginally easier to read in the white one.
I do agree with that. Personally I always prefer dark theme as I am prone to headaches and having darker screens makes them no quite so frequent.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Honestly, I prefer Dark Theme for most things. However, comparing those two relationship diagrams, I was surprised to find that I can "see" the details such as RI between related fields better in the lighter theme. I wouldn't want to have to stare at it for a while. However, for a short review to see how products relate to both purchase order details and order details, for example, to me the lighter background makes it stand out.

Am I in the minority on this one?

coypu

Registered User.
Local time
Honestly, I prefer Dark Theme for most things. However, comparing those two relationship diagrams, I was surprised to find that I can "see" the details such as RI between related fields better in the lighter theme. I wouldn't want to have to stare at it for a while. However, for a short review to see how products relate to both purchase order details and order details, for example, to me the lighter background makes it stand out.

Thanks for all you're doing on this 👏👏 With you on the light theme 👍

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As someone who finds dark themes very difficult on my eyes, it won't surprise you to know that I find the light theme easy to read even on my 12" tablet whereas, for me, the dark theme is very hard to look at even on a 22" monitor.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm a light theme kinda guy. One of my clients is a dark themer. Difficult when he's trying to show me something on his screen.

I did experiment with dark theme on this forum (shades of blue), but some things become 'hidden' or at least less visible, particularly for smaller fonts - Look at Colin's 'the more I learn....' phrase in shades of blue v the default shades of grey

One of the reasons I found Greg's presentation last week very interesting.

Just found an interesting 'bug' on this site - if in default mode and you make some text bold - if I then switch to shades of blue, the bold is lost - return to default and the formatting is still lost

I've made this word bold and this one underlined and finally italic saved this post in default. Anyone using the shades of blue - what do you see?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I also use the dark theme for a lot of things but I also prefer the light version. the lines are clearer and I could read it without enlarging it although not without strain. At least the resolution is good so enlarging the picture enough to read the text doesn't lose the resolution.
Anyone using the shades of blue - what do you see?
I see bold, underlined and italics. Looks OK to me.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK thanks for the responses - seems to be an issue when in edit mode - not something one would normally do....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom