not working - form-mail.pl (1 Viewer)

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:00
Can anyone see any obvious problems with this script?

It is ment to process my web page form. If I fill out the form and sumit it, the thanks you page works, but I do not receive the mail. have tried using different mail addresses so not a problem there. any help would be great:)

Attachments

• form-mail.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 329

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:00
Have you checked that sendmail is correctly configured and working on your web server?

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your reply,

This is my 1st web for and as a result a little unsure of exactly how to check this. Is sendmail another script I should find in my cgi-bin or it it aservice that needs to be enabled by my isp?

thanks again!

if you want to look at it it complete see http://www.besluton.co.uk/contact.html

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Mark-BES said:
This is my 1st web for and as a result a little unsure of exactly how to check this. Is sendmail another script I should find in my cgi-bin or it it aservice that needs to be enabled by my isp?

Nope, sendmail is the program you use to actually send the email. The perl script doesn't actually send your email, it simply passes the details on to sendmail, or whichever mail program you have installed on your web server. If you have SSH access, you can simply log in and type

Code:
whereis sendmail

to confirm its there. You should check with your ISP as to whether sendmail is configured/running.

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks for your help and your patience.

I went to my webspace via Telnet and logged on. Go the prompt: $
When I type "whereis sendmail"
The response is "sh: whereis: not found"

I think I will need to speak with my isp. Thanks for your help.:)

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Mark-BES said:
I went to my webspace via Telnet and logged on. Go the prompt: $
When I type "whereis sendmail"
The response is "sh: whereis: not found"

OK, firstly, telnet is very unsecure. Your password is sent in plain text, so it would be very easy for anyone to "sniff" your username and password. If you are logging in from Windows, you can use "Putty" to log in via SSH, which is much more secure.

Secondly, "whereis" is simply a unix command. It seems it is not on the system (netcraft reported this to be Solaris, which is *NIX, but not all systems have the same software installed). You can try

Code:
which sendmail

or even

Code:
ls /usr/bin/sendmail

to see if its there. That's assuming that solaris installs sendmail to /usr/bin. You could also try

Code:
slocate sendmail

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
many thanks once again.

the only command it seemed to recognise was: ls /usr/bin/sendmail
and reported "no such file or directory" so will have to check with my ISP.

You have been most helpful. I will use your advise in future:

"OK, firstly, telnet is very unsecure. Your password is sent in plain text, so it would be very easy for anyone to "sniff" your username and password. If you are logging in from Windows, you can use "Putty" to log in via SSH, which is much more secure."

:)

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Got it working!

Turned out to be a problem with the ISP and not me. I changed the mail address in the script to a mail address NOT hosted by my isp and it worked perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom