Null fields and shrinking text boxes (1 Viewer)

AndyS48UK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:10
Hi

I have a text box on a report tyhat has the can grow and can shrink properties set to Yes.

I thought that by making sure that the expression in the box resulted in Null then the text box height would shrink to zero. Is this not the case?

Andy

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
If there is another field in the same line as the field that you want to shrink, there will apear a gap because the detail section can't shrink too. For example, you have a five row address. Row four is blank but is in line with the date field on the report, there will be a blank row, row five can't move up because the date field, and therefore the detail section, can't shrink.

There are ways round it, depending on your scenario.

Hope that makes sense!

AndyS48UK

Registered User.
Local time
Still puzzled...

Thanks Rich and DBL.

First; DBL; nothing else on the lne thought of that one! Just the text box. Rich; the text box takes a field from a query. text field which may or may not be filled in. If the field has nothing in it then the expression is iif([myField]=null, null, "String"). I've checked to see what is in the field by replacing the first with speechmarks ("") in case it holds a string. Still the text box stays adamantly the same size even though I seem to have ensured "Null" in the box..

Thanks

A

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
I would do:

Iff (IsNull([fieldname]),"", [fieldname]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom