Numbering (1 Viewer)

racdata

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:06
Hi All

Is it possible to do the following?

I have a column with a heading EventNo.
The Event number must be 06-00000 The first 2 digits is the year.

In the Input Mast I have - 00/-00000 and the Default value set as 06-00000

How can I set it up so it can go to 07-00000,08-00000 and so on for next years? The Event number must start at 00001 every year.

It will be impossible to change the default value every year.
Thanx

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 19:06
The search function in this forum really does work.

Sorry, couldn't resist

racdata

Registered User.
Local time
Auto Number

Hi
Yes it is easy to say search, I did search before but coudnt find any posts that suits my request. I do not know if I can make use of the examples because I do not know how to edit the codes to make it work.

Attached is an example of my database. Can anybody edit it and sent it back please. :eek: :confused:

Attachments

• Event.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 118

racdata

Registered User.
Local time
Is there no one that can help me solving this problem

ansentry

Access amateur
Local time
Today, 09:06
Have a look at the attached sample, I got the "Year" bit working but starting the numbering again when it a new year well I have not solved that one yet.

Open the form add a new record and you will see that the prefix is 06- and the number will increase by 1.

Now close the form and exit access, change the Year on your computer to say 2007 and then open the db and add a new entry and you will see that the prefix is now 07-

Hope this is a little help.

Attachments

• Record Number by Year.zip
    22.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Rod D

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:06
RACData

I think this is what you were after...

Code:
=Right(Date(),2) & Right(NZ(DMax("[EventNo]","[tbl_EmgCalls]","Left([EventNo],2)='" & Right(Date(),2) & "'"),"9900000")+1,5)

-What this does is takes the last two digits of the current year (Right(Date(),2) ) and appends the last 5 digits of the largest number found for the year, plus one (Dmax(...)). For the first entry of the new year, there will not be a "Max" value, so the NZ function provides a value for the null - "9900000".
-Hope this makes sense...:)

Place this code as the EventNo Default property, so that it only calculates a value for new records.

I would also change the format of the field to @@-@@@@@ and set Enabled to False (to stop users trying to change it!)

Hope this helps
Regards
Rod
(ex. Bulawayo)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 16:06
have a admin form with a counter in it - and every year end reset the counter - easest way of doing this

racdata

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
=Right(Date(),2) & Right(NZ(DMax("[EventNo]","[tbl_EmgCalls]","Left([EventNo],2)='" & Right(Date(),2) & "'"),"9900000")+1,5)-What this does is takes the last two digits of the current year (Right(Date(),2) ) and appends the last 5 digits of the largest number found for the year, plus one (Dmax(...)). For the first entry of the new year, there will not be a "Max" value, so the NZ function provides a value for the null - "9900000".
-Hope this makes sense...

Place this code as the EventNo Default property, so that it only calculates a value for new records.

I would also change the format of the field to @@-@@@@@ and set Enabled to False (to stop users trying to change it!)

Hope this helps
Regards
Rod

Hi everybody
I am now in China and busy translate a previous database to Chinese. The date format in RSA was dd/mm/yyyy and the numbering was working fine. But the date format here in China is yyyy/mm/dd and I can not get this working. (brain blocage) Can someone help please?

Regards
Arrie

Dairy Farmer

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Right(DatePart("yyyy",date()),2)
or

Code:
Format$(Date(),"yy")

Dairy Farmer

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a procedure you could use. In the form I presume you have a date field. Put the following code in the date field to generate a new EventNo.

Code:
'Takes the last 2 digits of the year in the EventDate field
Year = Right((DatePart("yyyy", [EventDate])), 2)

'Finds the last event number for the year in Date1
LastEvent = Nz(DMax("[EventNo]", "[tbl_EmgCalls]", "Left([EventNo],2)='" & Year & "'"))

'If this is the first event of the year then start at 001. Change to add more digits.
If LastEvent < 1 Then
Me.EventNo = Year & "001"
Else

'If this is not the first event of the year then add 1 to the last event
Me.EventNo = Year & Right(LastEvent + 1, 3)
End If

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom