ODBC 17 for SQL server not able to connect (1 Viewer)

nector

Local time
Today, 14:30
Hi All

We have a challenge on ODBC for one machine its failing to connect to the database while others are connected see picture . Any solution? the internet is just okay.

ODBC Blocked.png

nector

Local time
Then which version is correct ?

nector

Local time
Check the versions of access on the different machines.

We are all using the same 365 , could this be a problem?

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:30
If you are affected by the bad version (version 2312 Build 17126.20126) then the article shows some workarounds.

Did you read it?

nector

Local time
My question is which version should we use on azure cloud database? the article does not point me to the correct ODBC for assure.

nector

Local time
Finally I have sorted it out by rolling back to this old version 17.10.4.01, never again shall I do an update on the untested version, its like the owners do not fully these programs only when people complain can they fix the bag.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:30
Hi All

We have a challenge on ODBC for one machine its failing to connect to the database while others are connected see picture . Any solution? the internet is just okay.

View attachment 111946
Coincidentally, I have databases on that same server at Winhost.
"...which version should we use on azure cloud database..." That is not an Azure cloud database, actually. As the name says it's owned by Winhost.com, not Microsoft. But that's not the central point.

I understand you corrected the problem by rolling back the ODBC driver, which is fine. I believe you'll find useful information at AccessForever.org.

To connect to Azure, any of the same ODBC drivers works.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Coincidentally, I have databases on that same server at Winhost.
"...which version should we use on azure cloud database..." That is not an Azure cloud database, actually. As the name says it's owned by Winhost.com, not Microsoft. But that's not the central point.

I understand you corrected the problem by rolling back the ODBC driver, which is fine. I believe you'll find useful information at AccessForever.org.

To connect to Azure, any of the same ODBC drivers works.
And Colin beat me to the punchline.

AHeyne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:30
And you're probably better off using MSODBC 18 (after testing, of course!) since MSDOBC 17 is old software now.
It should be mentioned that a breaking change comes with the ODBC driver 18 for SQL Server.
The connection is now encrypted by default (just in case it doesn't work right away):
The connection encryption defaults have changed. The default value of Encrypt is now Yes, and the new keywords Optional and Mandatory have been introduced as synonyms for No and Yes, respectively.

Last edited:

nector

Local time
It should be mentioned that a breaking change comes with the ODBC driver 18 for SQL Server.
The connection is now encrypted by default (just in case it doesn't work right away):

Ahyne this seam like the article from winhost suggest

Attachments

• Winhost method of encryption.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 44

nector

Local time
It only worked for 30 minutes and finally failed , could it its a problem with winhost.com, but I have written to them I'm not getting any reply

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
The
The solution is simple though. Add
It only worked for 30 minutes and finally failed , could it its a problem with winhost.com, but I have written to them I'm not getting any reply
If the problem you have is the one I suspect you have, it's a potential security risk and I'm currently re-evaluating my use of SQL Server on Winhost.com because of it.

In a nutshell, Winhost has gone to Self-Certifaction for their SQL Servers. This snippet from this article explains the issue.

Reason:
This error occurs because a self-signed certificate is being used for encrypted connections on our SQL server.

To resolve this issue:
For Classic ASP/ASP.NET/.NET Core applications, update your connection string with the following:
"Data Source=DBSERVERNAME;Initial Catalog=YOURDATABASENAME;User ID=YOURUSERID;Password=YOURPASSWORD;Encrypt=yes;TrustServerCertificate=true"

Note that the last element of their suggested connection string example tells the application to trust their server certificate implicitly, i.e. without verification.

I can no longer connect to any of my Winhost databases from Access without that segment, although the article refers only to web applications.

My understanding is that this is not desirable as it says, in effect, "trust me that I am who I claim to be," without the benefit of a third-party certification.

I've not had time to search for a different hosting company, and given that I'm not risking sensitive data in my personal use databases, I'm not rushing.

However, now that I understand the implications of a self-signed certificate, I'm really going to look for alternatives. I hate the thought because it's such a huge hassle, but in this day and age, complacency is not an option.

So, try that in your connections.

I also would like to solicit input from SQL Server experts who can elaborate more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom