Off Topic (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:52
I'm going to give it a go. I'm having trouble cleaning it up, though. I'll even give you a hint - Vietnam era

OffTopic1.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Almost 24 hours. Here is the second clue. Vietnam War era.

OffTopic2.png

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:52
@The_Doc_Man Doc I'm assuming these are for the same song... In which case I'm struggling.
More of a child of the late 70's early 80's but that shouldn't be stopping me.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:52
Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf

♪♫ ...close your eyes girl, look inside girl...♫♪

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ding, ding, ding... NG's got it. From Steppenwolf

2nd clue: "I like to dream, yes, yes, right between the sound machine; on a cloud of sound ..."
1st clue: "Last night I held Aladdin's lamp, so I wished that I could stay; before the thing could answer me, well someone took the lamp away; I looked around, a lousy candle's all I found"

My third reference would have been an oblique comment about Star Trek: First Contact and Zephraim Cochrane.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:52
I had seen SteppingWolf at a local California festival in the 70's, it featured Hell's Angels riot police and chaos. That's pretty much all I can remember.;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For me, one of the live music "thrills" was at a Louisiana Jazz and Heritage Festival (a.k.a. "Jazz Fest") where in two days time, I saw & heard Al Green, Booker T and the MGs, Fats Domino, Aaron Neville, and The (original) Meters. Plus several local Cajun, Gospel, and Rock & Roll acts you would not have known.

For those not sure, Al Green (later, Rev. Al Green) was an R&B soul singer. "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" was his big hit at that time.

For Booker T & the MGs - "Time is Tight" was their latest big hit.

Fats Domino should require very little.

Aaron Neville's most recent hit at the time was "Tell It Like It Is"

The Meters were perhaps the leading "funk" group at the time. They did "Cissy Strut." We recently lost Art Neville (Aaron's brother), not to corona, but just to being a musician who was already an adult during the 1960s and then got 60 years older. If any of you are not up on "funk" then this track will let you know. But since it is instrumental, there is no way I could have gone off-topic with this one. P.S. - in the picture, Art Neville is on the right with glasses.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
was his big hit at that time
not sure what that means. It was written and first recorded by the Bee Gees? Anyway, interesting because I know who Al Greene was but for "Let's Stay Together" I think.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:52
For me, one of the live music "thrills" was at a Louisiana Jazz and Heritage Festival (a.k.a. "Jazz Fest") where in two days time, I saw & heard Al Green, Booker T and the MGs, Fats Domino, Aaron Neville, and The (original) Meters. Plus several local Cajun, Gospel, and Rock & Roll acts you would not have known.

For those not sure, Al Green (later, Rev. Al Green) was an R&B soul singer. "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" was his big hit at that time.

For Booker T & the MGs - "Time is Tight" was their latest big hit.

Fats Domino should require very little.

Aaron Neville's most recent hit at the time was "Tell It Like It Is"

The Meters were perhaps the leading "funk" group at the time. They did "Cissy Strut." We recently lost Art Neville (Aaron's brother), not to corona, but just to being a musician who was already an adult during the 1960s and then got 60 years older. If any of you are not up on "funk" then this track will let you know. But since it is instrumental, there is no way I could have gone off-topic with this one. P.S. - in the picture, Art Neville is on the right with glasses.

That's nice, never heard that before TY.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It was written and first recorded by the Bee Gees?

I concur that the BeeGees did it first. But in the R&B charts, at the time that was popular, which was probably one reason he got the Jazz Fest invitation. They are most likely to invite "trending" artists, regardless of originality.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
But of course...my funeral song. Should have known you or Doc would nail it in record time. So....you're up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom