Off Topic (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:29
AB, I have to admit that it went over my head. But then, I've been distracted fixing a balky door lock. The repair was successful because we had leftover parts from a previous lock of the same type that broke in a different way, so i had a spare latch. One of the benefits of having pack rat in your blood.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:29
The repair was successful because we had leftover parts from a previous lock of the same type that broke in a different way, so i had a spare latch. One of the benefits of having pack rat in your blood.
Doc it's perfect time catch up on all the honey do's. Everybody seems to be in that mode.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
1588537240552.png

1588898070705.png

Time to dust off the pellet gun.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
A program from the University of Pennsylvania's School of Veterinary Medicine is testing to see if dogs, which have 50 times the number of smell receptors that humans have (300 million to 6 million), are able to sniff out COVID-19 positive patients, especially those that are asymptomatic.

(Credit: University of Pennsylvania)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It has been shown that certain scent hounds can be trained to detect aromas emitted by skin cancers. They have a really good success rate though not perfect. Still, a pet scan is a lot cheaper than a P.E.T. scan. Less invasive unless the dog is exceptionally curious. Less cleanup unless the dog slobbers a lot. But a friendly dog is a lot gentler than a needle biopsy .

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323620 - might request you to change your cookie policy.

https://www.americanveterinarian.com/news/cancersniffing-dogs-where-are-we-today - lots of anecdotal evidence, still working on solid theory

https://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/health/cancer-smelling-dogs/index.html - still not at all verified, but considered worth a formal clinical trial

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The Me Too Movement should be updated to "Me 2,000" at the very least.

"All I can say, Bill, you got the face you deserved".

1589205124483.png

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Actor and comedian Jerry Stiller has died of natural causes, Ben Stiller says

That's one you don't hear very often, or will Covid-19 be the new natural cause?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This and walking are my main covid-exercises, if you wind the string tight it acts like a speed bag. What do you guys do for exercise?

20200511_152923.jpg

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
I cycle to work.
Everyday, 7 days a week, 40km for the past 13 years.
Wow! Rain or shine? Not trying to be smart here, but do you cycle home also, or carry bicycle on to subway/train to go home?

deletedT

Local time
Today, 00:29
Wow! Rain or shine? Not trying to be smart here, but do you cycle home also, or carry bicycle on to subway/train to go home?
Rain, Snow, Typhoon, Disaster
I've never stayed home even when the whole country's railroad was stopped during a 9.2 magnitude earthquake.
Not even 1 minute delay during my whole carrier.
20.1Km to work, 20.6 back home.
I can't even remember the last time I took a subway or a train. Maybe it's more than 10 years I haven't took them.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Rain, Snow, Typhoon, Disaster
I've never stayed home even when the whole country's railroad was stopped during a 9.2 magnitude earthquake.
Not even 1 minute delay during my whole carrier.
20.1Km to work, 20.6 back home.
I can't even remember the last time I took a subway or a train. Maybe it's more than 10 years I haven't took them.
Man I thought hitting the tether ball for 20 mins and walking a couple of miles a day was good. (y)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
AccessBlaster said:
What do you guys do for exercise?

Every day with occasional weather-based exceptions, I walk 3 miles. According to a site called "MapMyWalk" it is 3.05 miles, but that extra is small change so I don't count it. Usually takes me between 1 hour 10 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes, so I know it is a good pace. Not running because my knees won't support that. But it is a brisk walk and in spring, summer, and early fall I work up a good sweat. As a retiree, I get to choose my schedule but usually these days I am making it a morning walk.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
If it's a gym, I walk at an incline / climb. this way I get the running benefit without the high impact negatives. all of my siblings have been avid joggers/runners for several years at some point during their life, and every one has either had foot, ankle or knee problems. If it's not a gym, I still walk. And taking the stairs when possible.
Now that I type it out, it's not much is it?! Gee..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom