Offline data entry for split database? (1 Viewer)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:21
Hi ,

Since we are at Sharepoint. How do I use this? I feel this would help especially when my company runs a business in another country and I would like my admin there to be able to use what I have completed.

Please post your own question about this in a new thread.

rc-alex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:21
Bob,

When I said "they say" I didn't mean you. Just various other articles/sites i've read.

As far as the database on SharePoint, if the non-web queries, forms, etc. are downloaded to the User's PC but the tables (lists) are not, how will they perform offline entry?

When I "move to SharePoint" with Access 2010 the "save a copy of my database to sharepoint and create shortcuts to forms and reports" checkbox does not appear, as in the image at top-right of the first page: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780768668513/samplechapter/0768668514_CH04.pdf

That option does appear in Access 2007, but I cannot open a .accdb database created in Access 2010 with 2007? Says "uncrecognized database format". I was trying to open it with 2007 to publish it that way.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
As far as the database on SharePoint, if the non-web queries, forms, etc. are downloaded to the User's PC but the tables (lists) are not, how will they perform offline entry?
Perhaps this article will help:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/s...t-2010-list-with-access-2010-HA101854203.aspx

When I "move to SharePoint" with Access 2010 the "save a copy of my database to sharepoint and create shortcuts to forms and reports" checkbox does not appear, as in the image at top-right of the first page: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780768668513/samplechapter/0768668514_CH04.pdf

That option does appear in Access 2007, but I cannot open a .accdb database created in Access 2010 with 2007? Says "uncrecognized database format". I was trying to open it with 2007 to publish it that way.
You can't open a 2010 database with 2007. And the interfacing between SharePoint and Access 2007 and SharePoint and Access 2010 is different.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote-help/save-a-file-to-a-sharepoint-library-HA010370482.aspx#_Toc261347237 said:
Access

Follow these steps to save an Access 2010 database to a SharePoint library:
  1. Click the File tab.
  2. Click Save & Publish, then click either Save Database As or Save Object As.
  3. Under Advanced, select SharePoint, and then click Save As.
  1. In the Save As dialog box, find the SharePoint location to which you want to save, and click Save.
Note To learn more about the Save As dialog box, see Save a file.

rc-alex

Registered User.
Local time
Bob,

Thank you SOOOO much. For some reason before when I had tested, I wasn't getting the "synchronize back to sharepoint" yellow bar, just the save to sharepoint one, which would overwrite the current information. Now I get the synchronize bar after carefully following all of your information.

THANK YOU!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
No problem. Good luck with it. I hope it all goes well. :)

rc-alex

Registered User.
Local time
With the tables as lists, there's no way to do input masks, for example, for phone numbers, is there?

Also do you know anything about the performance using the SharePoint lists for tables in SharePoint Server 2010 and Access 2010? I read that for 2007 it got sluggish at 2,000 records and the article you linked above says performance has been improved, but I wonder when we'll still hit the snag?

Thanks!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
With the tables as lists, there's no way to do input masks, for example, for phone numbers, is there?
I'm not sure about that. I don't have a way to test. But you might be able to set up an unbound text box with an input mask and then use code to transfer the data over in the form's Before Update event.
Also do you know anything about the performance using the SharePoint lists for tables in SharePoint Server 2010 and Access 2010? I read that for 2007 it got sluggish at 2,000 records and the article you linked above says performance has been improved, but I wonder when we'll still hit the snag?
I can't tell you anything about that except that it is quite a bit better than previous versions.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:21
I'm coming in late to an extensive discussion, but if you used MDB format for the data tables, you could use Jet Replication to synchronize the different databases. But I'm not recommending it -- there are a number of reasons why it wouldn't be the best solution. But if the conditions are right, it might be the easiest.

rc-alex

Registered User.
Local time
David,

I appreciate the addition to the conversation. I had seen that mentioned when I was doing searches online. So far it looks like the "Move to SharePoint" method will work well. Because users store a local copy of the linked lists on their PC, they can still enter data offline, and then the software does a great job of syncronizing later.

Now, anything that is nor forced to be unique may still present an issue with offline entry if for some reason two users added the same record offline. But, I think that would happen with any synchronization approach, and for that matter, with fields not forced to be unique, I suppose could still happen if all data was entered while both users were online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom