Question Opening Project File Goes to MS Intro Menu Screen - 2007 (1 Viewer)

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 05:52
The rundown:
Access 2007, project under development. Typical start-up form with login procedure - combo box (using columns property) to validate password authentication and assign user information to global variables.

Getting ready to deploy the application, I made a copy, split the DB then made the front end into an .accde. Didn't work on pilot machine with Access Runtime.

Extra Notes:
Not sure if it pertains but there is a start-up database that manages front-end updates and compact and repairs. It queries a BE table to check for the version flags and/or if a compact/repair is called for. It either updates the user front-end (file copy) or performs backup - compact/repair.

The odd bit is the startup database worked fine on the deployed machine.

Last Changes:
The deployed version failed to run. It would open and then close for no reason. It seemed as if something was trying to go so I stressed the CPU and tried to open the FE. I noticed a 'compacting' on the status bar of the front end. I did not realize that this was checked so went back to start the process over because this is a multi-user database and will control that from an external source.

The problem:
I went back to the original db (unsplit, etc) to review, unchecked the compact on close, complied and tried the deployment. Same thing. So I went back to the original and when I try to open it it opens the Getting Started With MS Access menu screen (where you can choose a template or a blank database.)

It's as if there is a command in there that goes along something that says DoCmd.Quit OpenDatabase acNewDatabase. :confused:

I tried /decompile, /nostartup, compact from an external source and doing the shift trick ... nothing. Like I said, the start-up form doesn't have anything special, a combo box (using columns property) is all - no exit, no close, no quit.

To ensure, a two-week old archive (I was so into it I've lost two weeks because I forgot to archive :() that works, I exported the start-up form from that into the 'broken' database. It accepted it without a hitch - even prompted me that there was one there and asked if I wanted to write over it!

I am curious if anyone has seen this behavior before or some insight on what I did so I can (a) fix this copy and/or (b) never do it again.

-dK

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:52
Sounds like your startup form was corrupted. There are two additional things to try when you are seeing strange behavior. The first is to create a new empty database and import all objects into it. The other is to use the undocumented export as text feature. Search the general section of this forum, we were just talking about it today.

webluxor.com

Local time
Today, 03:52
i totally agree with you!!

Webluxor.com web luxor (860)-865-0246

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom