Outline of textbox isn't showing thickness correctly (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 17:51
When the border thickness is 2pt or less it just shows a thin light gray line.
When the border thickness is 3pt it definitely shows a 3pt line, all thick and black like it's set to.

Any idea what is going on? I've tried changing things back and forth numerous times. Only thing I haven't done yet is create a new one and see if the pattern repeats.

EDIT
Enough posts and the similar threads algorithm popped up the answer! (Spoiler: It's a bug)

Last edited:

JMongi

Local time
Well, that's weird.
So, I created a new one. It did the same thing. But....
I discovered this only is happening when I set the border color to black (#000000). This basically makes it transparent (if I set a background color to the box, it fills it but leave the appropriately spaced border, just not any color). Setting it to a different color works fine. Very weird.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:51
What, if anything, is adjacent to the border in question? By way of explanation, I had code that aligned my buttons dynamically and sometimes the borders interacted if two controls were literally adjacent to each other. I had to leave a gap between them for the border anomaly to go away.

You also have to recognize that Access is drawing lines in memory but the Windows rendering software actually paints it on the display, so the screen resolution will play a part in this. In size considerations, every line Access draws is subject to the same restrictions... twips. One inch is 1440 twips. They do this to relieve/prevent you from having to compute line sizes based on screen resolution. But if your screen size doesn't exactly divide evenly in terms of dots per 1440th of an inch, you can have a problem. Note that it doesn't matter that your screen could actually draw the line. What matters is what resolution was selected for your screen. If it isn't the default resolution to match the screen's hardware, you could still have the problem. Because basically, if you tell Windows you have a smaller screen, it's dumb enough to believe you.

JMongi

Local time
@The_Doc_Man - Good info!
In this case, I don't think it applies only because it works correctly with all other colors I've tried except for black (#000000).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:51
There is a phenomenon called "phosphor bleed" that makes colored dots take up more room than black dots. Has to do with the precision of screen's mask (for projection or LCD systems) or the phosphor grid (for LED systems). Look through the technical specs for your monitor to see if they comment on phosphor size differential between lit and non-lit phosphors.

JMongi

Local time
Interesting. But, I don't think we are dealing with that type of fine detail. Plus, I have two monitors and it does the same thing.

If you look at the control in design mode with a background fill color assigned, you can clearly see the thickness where the border is SUPPOSED to be. It just is transparent when black is selected. If I select a black adjacent color (or any of a half dozen I've tried) it works fine. *shrug*

JMongi

Local time
Well, enough posts and the similar threads algorithm worked its magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom