Outlook GAL (1 Viewer)

Samantha

still learning...
Local time
Today, 02:32
This really isn't an Access question, but I have been searching off and on everywhere for a few weeks for a solution and am totally lost. You guys have always been a great well of knowledge and if anyone can point me in the correct direction it would be much appreciated.

I have come to the conclusion that I would like to write some code to insert into Outlook that it will take my main contact folder and sync with the Global Address List held in exchange.

In Outlook 2010 it automatically populated every 24-hours. When we had 2010 I disabled the updating because our IT got in there and added random phone numbers to several people in our organization. By the time I realized where the information was coming from it was easier to disable the feature, then for them to fix it. Since that time they cleaned up their mess and we have upgraded to 2016 across the board (Access, Outlook, Word).

Now that I have cleaned all of the contacts and uploaded them to Exchange via Powershell; I have learned the only way to update them is to open the contact one by one and select the update button. The update feature only retained if it was active in 2010 before upgrading software (Microsoft Support). Which I tried to go in to the registry and change the settings manually and that didn't work either.

Now even if the update feature would update as it used to, it is not efficient. It is moving updated information to Other Fax for instance instead of Business Fax. My other flaw is, it is not paying attention to case in the contact's name or company fields.

So in wrapping up, my issue is referring to the GAL. I have borrowed most of the code I have and changed small aspects to fit my needs. Does anyone have an example or resources on how I go about this?:confused:

Thanks in advanced!

PS. I thought about syncing with Access although the contacts that I have in access are only clients approx 1500 and total contacts are 3000 so I didn't want to overload my DB any faster then it is growing on its own.
Public folders in outlook are not an option as I would like the end result to sync on the iPhone in contacts.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:32
This may sound an odd way to go about this, but have you thought about importing the contacts to a phone then syncing the phone to exchange.

Samantha

still learning...
Local time
Today, 02:32
Good Morning,

The contacts are on the phone however are not syncing when updated. You can search the GAL from the phone which is perfect. I just hate to have to go into everyone's contacts to open and update each contact card individually.

Thanks,
Samantha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom