Outlook Object Libraries (1 Viewer)

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
Today, 18:07
Hi,
I have a problem where 50% of our users are using Outlook 2K and he others Outlook 2003 hence different libraries.
If I remove the references to the 2K library the 2K users are fine but the 2K3 users are not and vice versa.
Does anyone know of a way to keep both sets of users happy ?
I know I need to get off my backside and roll out 2K3 to everyone but it isn't going to happen yet.

Thanks,

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:07
Detect the outlook version on startup and establish the correct references. (you'd also need to remove all references on shutdown)

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
Thanks,
I will give it a go.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:07
I've normally had no problems with a database if the lowest common denominator is set (set it to 2000 and leave it). But at the same time, it would appear that you are letting the users open the same file instead of having their own front-end. If you have each user have their own front-end, you can develop in 2000 and then those in 2003 will be fine when they open their new front-end. If they are all working in the same Db, then it will screw things all up.

To create auto updating front-ends (so that you don't need to touch them each time you modify the front-end) go here
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=111132
to use my tool that I created to allow you to work on the front-end and then let the system automatically update each user's front end as they log in.

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
Thanks boblarson
The DB was developed by a collegue and yes it is a single db not split.
Thanks again.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:07
The other question I have, if you leave it as one mdb file, if someone with A2k opens it and then someone with A2K3 opens it; will it affect the A2K user when they go to run something having to do with outlook? I am not sure that it would, but since I've never tried it may be something to be wary of.

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
The other question I have, if you leave it as one mdb file, if someone with A2k opens it and then someone with A2K3 opens it; will it affect the A2K user when they go to run something having to do with outlook? I am not sure that it would, but since I've never tried it may be something to be wary of.

That is what is happening. Outlook 2K3 uses Outlook 11 libraries and 2K uses version 10. Once a 2K3 user opens the mdb it registers the version 11 library. As soon as a 2K user opens up and tries to use activates the email code it throws up registration errors.
The answers are either upgrade everyone to 2K3, which I had planned to do using Group Policy software deployment, or split the DB into front-end back end.

Thanks for all your advice. It's a long time since I have developed in Access so I'm a bit rusty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom