Outside contractors (1 Viewer)

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:59
Yea. Forgot that😁. So if your writing into the db on the server then you'll need to connect via odbc connector with a username that has read/write access.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 14:59
I'd suggest dick convert the linked tables to local and play around with. Yea SQL or MySQL.

Dick which one of these are used in you company?

I do not know, but I will look into it. Is there anyway I can find out by going into the tables, as the outside contractor will not answer me. I think he suspect that I am moving in on his territory.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
yea i guess if you hover your mouse on one of the tables you can see the type of connection and send a screenshot of it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
yea i guess if you hover your mouse on one of the tables you can see the type of connection and send a screenshot of it.

here is what hover gave me

OBDC;driver=sql;server=sql12106.shared-servers.com,1088,databases-agmdate;table=xxxxx

xxxx is lots of table names
agm name of my organization.

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
Yea if its hosted by a service provide then it should probably be a SQL. MySQL can also be dine but i guess the "outside contractor" has done it on SQL. But the statements used are pretty much the same.

So i guess you need to get the username and password to the server.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 19:59
Anyone wanting to learn about SQL Server could do a lot worse than start taking a Udemy course. This is the first of about five. This course is actually one designed for those interested in taking a SQL certification exam.

https://www.udemy.com/microsoft-sql-server-2012-certification-70-461/

It does ask you to download a review copy of SQL Server 2012 which is time limited and that could limit your time studying with an actual copy but still very useful.

The principles behind MS Access are almost exactly the same as SQL Server syntax just thinkg of it as a less friendly UI.

Regards SQL - SQL is a language like VB or C# - it however concentrates on Algebraic manipulation of data - it has standards which vendors are supposed to adhere to. SQL Server uses a version called T SQL while Oracle uses P SQL. MySQL and Postgres probably have slightly other variations.

SQL Server is Microsofts implementation of enterprise grade database engine which you can query using SQL.

SQL the language forms the basis of almost all database engines including MS Access. Many simple queries written in MS Access will transfer straight into SQL Server.

SQL Server has some different data types from MS Access and different ways of setting up things like indexing and autonumbering. A day of instruction for someone starting off is probably recommended after that you are probably off and running.

One difference between SQL Server and MS Access - SQL Server is a server it runs constantly in the background providing data on a machine unless you specifically ask it to stop. You connect to SQL Server using separate clients - the client used to manage databases within SQL Server is called SSMS or SQL Server Management Studio. Each version of SQL Server has its respective version of SSMS. You open up SSMS and then you connect to a server. Each server is called an instance. Another way of connecting to SQL Server is via MS Access which you do in a similar way to the way in which you link an access database to a access database with tables. SQL Server engines are set up as instances where an instance is a collection of databases. SQL Server is very granualar and has lots of configuration options - so many that's where the consfusion comes in. There are multiple ways to do the same thing in SQL Server as well.

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Anyone wanting to learn about SQL Server could do a lot worse than start taking a Udemy course. This is the first of about five. This course is actually one designed for those interested in taking a SQL certification exam.

https://www.udemy.com/microsoft-sql-server-2012-certification-70-461/

It does ask you to download a review copy of SQL Server 2012 which is time limited and that could limit your time studying with an actual copy but still very useful.

The principles behind MS Access are almost exactly the same as SQL Server syntax just thinkg of it as a less friendly UI.

Regards SQL - SQL is a language like VB or C# - it however concentrates on Algebraic manipulation of data - it has standards which vendors are supposed to adhere to. SQL Server uses a version called T SQL while Oracle uses P SQL. MySQL and Postgres probably have slightly other variations.

SQL Server is Microsofts implementation of enterprise grade database engine which you can query using SQL.

SQL the language forms the basis of almost all database engines including MS Access. Many simple queries written in MS Access will transfer straight into SQL Server.

SQL Server has some different data types from MS Access and different ways of setting up things like indexing and autonumbering. A day of instruction for someone starting off is probably recommended after that you are probably off and running.

One difference between SQL Server and MS Access - SQL Server is a server it runs constantly in the background providing data on a machine unless you specifically ask it to stop. You connect to SQL Server using separate clients - the client used to manage databases within SQL Server is called SSMS or SQL Server Management Studio. Each version of SQL Server has its respective version of SSMS. You open up SSMS and then you connect to a server. Each server is called an instance. Another way of connecting to SQL Server is via MS Access which you do in a similar way to the way in which you link an access database to a access database with tables. SQL Server engines are set up as instances where an instance is a collection of databases. SQL Server is very granualar and has lots of configuration options - so many that's where the consfusion comes in. There are multiple ways to do the same thing in SQL Server as well.

thank you so very much. I am starting to see some of the trees in the forest.
I take it by your opening statement that you opinion of Udemy is positive. Is that correct?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
On the course I am taking for mysql with Udemy they had me download xampp, which I did. Then it said when I run the application I would be presented with a welcome screen.
I have gone thru all the folder in the xampp folder and cannot find a file to run it. If anybody is familiar with XAMPP can show me where to find the app file to run it, it would be appreciated.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:59
On the course I am taking for mysql with Udemy they had me download xampp, which I did. Then it said when I run the application I would be presented with a welcome screen.
I have gone thru all the folder in the xampp folder and cannot find a file to run it. If anybody is familiar with XAMPP can show me where to find the app file to run it, it would be appreciated.
There seems to be a lot of info on youtube about XAMPP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdvVKywGlc0

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 19:59
thank you so very much. I am starting to see some of the trees in the forest.
I take it by your opening statement that you opinion of Udemy is positive. Is that correct?

Udemy for me is perfect - they have a different subscription model from places like Lynda.com - You pay to get on each course individually and once you have access to the course it is yours forever - no time limit on how quickly you follow - this is great for me because I only have time to study a very few subjects but and for me this is important I can constantly repeat what I am being taught over relatively longer periods of time with occasional fallow months where I am busy doing other things - much like training to swim or learning a new language - its just a matter of determination to get it into my thick skull and repeat and repeat and repeat!

Linda is great but you pay by the month and although you have access to absolutely thousands of courses its pretty useless as most can only do 5 or 6 at the most at anytime. I also go for months when I can't study so it would be costing me for just having a subscription without me getting any value out of it.

Udemy have lots and lots of sales with massive discounts , I picked up my courses in January for £9 each - this was from some initial advertised prices in the region of £120 each. I would recommend that unless you really want a course try to pick up the sale items they have lots and lots of sales. I have about 8 courses - this will keep me going for years.

The course I link to is the first of a series of five designed to get you MS certification - an official qualification that will indicate that you have had formal training in SQL Server - it is based around SQL Server 2012 but relevant to all versions of SQL Server. It consists of lots and lots of 5 to 10 minute high quality videos by an old Texan guru who obviously knows his stuff. The exams are separate and there is no requirement to take them they get progressively deeper and deeper into the topic and it is possible to cut out and take a lower qualification 3/5 of the way through. They represent a very good grounding in the subject and have value whether you are intending to take the exams or not. The Texan is charismatic and interesting. The teaching generally is done by random gurus who finding themselves with knowledge realise they can sell teaching through the Udemy platform.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom