Package and Deploy - Using your db with the Access Runtime (1 Viewer)

Dairy Farmer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:16
Extracts from the Access help file:

Deploy an Access 2007 application
Microsoft Office Access 2007 provides a feature-rich platform for developing database applications. A database application is a computer program that provides both a way to store and manage data and a user interface that follows the logic of business tasks (application logic).

To deploy Office Access 2007 applications that can run without an installation of Access 2007 on a user's computer, you can distribute them along with the Access 2007 Runtime, which is available for free from the Microsoft.com Download Center.

Understand the Access 2007 Runtime
The Access 2007 Runtime is a redistributable program that allows people who do not have Access 2007 installed on their computers to use Access 2007 database applications. When you open an Access 2007 database by using the Access 2007 Runtime, the database opens in runtime mode.

What is runtime mode?Runtime mode is an Access 2007 operating mode in which certain Access 2007 features are not available by default. Some of these unavailable features can be made available in runtime mode, however.

Which features are not available in runtime mode?The following Access 2007 features are not available in runtime mode:

Navigation Pane - The Navigation Pane is not available in runtime mode. This helps prevent users from accessing arbitrary objects in your database application. Only those objects that you expose to users — for example, by providing a switchboard form — can be opened while using runtime mode. You cannot make the Navigation Pane available in runtime mode.

The Ribbon - By default, the Ribbon is not available in runtime mode. This helps prevent users from creating or modifying database objects, and from performing other potentially harmful actions, such as connecting to new data sources or exporting data in ways that you do not intend. You can create a custom Ribbon, and then associate that Ribbon with a form or report. You cannot expose the default Ribbon tabs in runtime mode.

Design view and Layout view - Design view and Layout view are not available for any database objects in runtime mode. This helps prevent users from modifying the design of objects in your database application. You cannot enable Design view or Layout view in runtime mode.

Help - By default, integrated Help is not available in runtime mode. Because you control what functionality is available in your runtime mode application, some of the standard integrated Access 2007 Help may be irrelevant to people who use your application, and could potentially confuse or frustrate them. If you are using the Access 2007 Developer Extensions to package and deploy your database application, you can provide a custom Help file with your runtime mode application.

Does runtime mode make my database more secure?
Although runtime mode limits the availability of navigation and design features, you should not use runtime mode as the primary means of securing a database application. On a computer that has the full version of Access 2007 installed, it may be possible for a user to open a runtime database application as a regular database application (that is, with all features available) and then to change the design or perform other unwanted actions.

Even if you deploy your database application only on computers that do not have the full version of Access 2007 installed, it is still possible for a user to transfer the application to a computer that does have the full version of Access 2007 installed, and then open the runtime database application as a regular database application.

Note: If you want to distribute an Access 2007 application so that users cannot modify the design of forms, reports, or Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) modules, consider using a compiled binary file (.accde).

Decide which file format to useThere are four Access 2007 file formats that you can use when you deploy an application:

.accdb - This is the default file format for Access 2007. When you deploy an application in this format, users have the most options to customize and navigate the application in whatever way they choose. If you want to ensure that users do not change the design of your application, you should use the .accde file format. In addition, a user cannot easily determine whether an .accdb file has been changed after you packaged it — to make this obvious, use the .accdc file format.

.accdc - This format is also known as an Access Deployment file. An Access Deployment file comprises an application file and a digital signature that is associated with that file. This file format assures users that no one has changed the application file after you packaged it. You can apply this format to a default format Access 2007 file (.accdb), or to an Access 2007 compiled binary file (.accde).
You can put only one application file in an Access Deployment file. If your application has separate data and logic files, you can package them separately.

.accde - This format is also known as a compiled binary file. In Access 2007, a compiled binary file is a database application file that has been saved with all of the VBA code compiled. No VBA source code remains in an Access compiled binary file.

You can use the Access 2007 Runtime to open an Access 2007 compiled binary file. However, by default, the Runtime does not recognize the .accde file name extension. To open a compiled binary file by using the Access 2007 Runtime, create a shortcut that points to the Runtime, and include the path to the compiled binary file that you want the shortcut to open.

Important - If you create a compiled binary file by using Access 2007 with Service Pack 1 installed, users cannot open the compiled binary file by using the full version of Access 2007 without Service Pack 1 installed. To resolve this issue, users should install Service Pack 1.

Access 2007 Developer Extensions and Runtime

Last edited:

phatus

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:16
Re: Access Package and Deploy - Make your db a "Standalone" app

how can i run the Access 2010 Runtime, i installed it in my pc.. can you tell me the procedure...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16

you cannot USE a runtime directly, to amend/modify databases.

you can use it to operate an existing/pre-designed database

however, if you just installed it, you will be able to use it as normal for a limited time.

phatus

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:16

o ic so how can i compile my database into run time...? sorry for asking i have no background in vb i just now the basic.... any tutorials will be much appreciated...

Dairy Farmer post this code and says edit the USysRibbon table... i cant find it, am i going to make a table and name the field USysRibbon and put the code in the cell?

Code:
MyHide

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">
<ribbon startFromScratch="true">
   <officeMenu>
        <button idMso="FileOpenDatabase" visible="false" />
         <button idMso="FileNewDatabase" visible="false" />
         <splitButton idMso="FileSaveAsMenuAccess" visible="false" />
     </officeMenu>

</ribbon>
</customUI>

or where will i put this code? procedure?

Dairy Farmer

Registered User.
Local time

Open your DB
Show System objects (in the navigation options)
See if USysRibbons is there. If not the you need to create it.
It is a table with 3 fields:
ID (Autonumber)
RibbonName (Text)
RibbonXml (Memo)

MyHide - goes in the RibbonName field. You can use any name you want
All the rest of the code goes in RibbonXML field

In the Access Options / Currrent Database / Ribbon name use MyHide (or what ever you called it)

Here is an example. There are 2 ribbons MyHide and MyReport. The DB opens using MyHide. There is a report and it uses MyReport which gives printing options on the ribbon only while the report is open. Close the report and it reverts to MyHide.

Attachments

• 1.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 697

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 08:16

o ic so how can i compile my database into run time...? sorry for asking i have no background in vb i just now the basic.... any tutorials will be much appreciated...

To complie your database into a ACCDE you use a built in option:

In 2007: Database Tools Tab > Make ACCDE icon

In Access 2010: File > Save & Publish > Make ACCDE

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 08:16

The title of this post is very mislead and I would have to say NOT accurate.

To Make your db a "Standalone" app means that you do NOT need any other software installed, like Access, to use the forms and reports. This is just not possible.

An Access database can not stand alone from the MSAccess.EXE and still be able to use the forms and reports.

To use the form and reports in an Access database (MDB/MDE or ACCDB/ACCDE) you must have a venison of Access installed that is compatible.

You can NOT make an ACCDB/ACCDE stand alone form Access and still you the forms and reports.

What this post is really about is using the Access Runtime. It no way is it ablut making the database standalone.

The title really should be something like:

Package and Deploy - Using your db with the Access Runtime

Dairy Farmer

Registered User.
Local time

When I was at junior school (admittedly a very long time ago) they used to teach us the basics of a thing called punctuation. I do not always get it right, but I do know what Scare Quotes are. Maybe you should look it up sometime.

Scare quotes are quotation marks placed around a single word or phrase to indicate that the word or phrase does not signify its literal or conventional meaning. In contrast to the nominal typographic purpose of quotation marks, the enclosed word(s) are not necessarily quoted from another source.

Source: Wikipedia.org

means that you do NOT need any other software installed, like Access, to use the forms and reports. This is just not possible.
If you want to be pedantic, what about an OS? You cannot run an app if you don't have an OS installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom