Passing Variables between two Access 2000 Databases (1 Viewer)

madhouse

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:26
Does anybody know how I can pass some variables between 2 different Access 2000 databases?

What I have is one central database that will control access to a number of other databases. Each user has got a username, password and level of access. The users login to the central database which opens a menu where the user can open the various other databases. Each of the other databases have got functions that I need to restrict access to depending on a users access level. So what I need to do when someone selects a database to open is to pass that persons level of access across to it so that the other database knows which functions to enable/disable (I hope this makes sense!).

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:26
What I have done in the past is to create a table that contains the security information, and to use that table in each database to control what the user can see.

The security table has the userid and the database id as its key, then one or more fields that describe the level of security that the user has within the particular database (read vs. update, or perhaps a department code, or whatever).

When a database is opened, it determines the userid (there are functions for this, depending on whether you want the network id or not), plugs in its own database id, reads the linked security table and does whatever it needs to implement the security for that person.

You do need to maintain the security table...which can be its own, highly secured, Access app.

It sounds like you already have a table, so all you need to do is to link to it from the other databases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom