People with a Different Sort of "Genius" (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:22
Not sure how this thread has migrated from geniuses to macros....

Anyway, another contender for unconventional genius may be Freeman Dyson who died last week.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Here's one I devised. I posit a few assertions, but I think they are reasonable. Intelligent life will be carbon based, and DNA based. DNA is based on 4 protein DNA bases, ACGT. I actually think it will be anthropoid in general.

Now scientists advise that we share 98% of DNA with chimps, and even 50% DNA with bananas.

So this is my theory, and this is what it is (to paraphrase Monty Python). When we finally meet alien life forms, they will be carbon based, they will be DNA based, and although we will never have met before, we will share substantial amounts of DNA with them. Now that's "spooky at a distance"

I also enjoy watching Ancient Aliens, and wonder why they never mention Immanuel Velikovsky. (who surely was a genius)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:22
Now scientists advise that we share 98% of DNA with chimps, and even 50% DNA with bananas.
That 2% must be huge, if not we should be using primate heart valves instead of pig?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:22
P.E.T.A. would jump up and down if we started using primate organs instead of porcine organs. But as I understand it, there IS an issue with genetics. I can't talk about pigs, but primates don't match our DNA that well due to the fact that we have 23 chromosomes; primates have 24. Primate genes #2 and #13 fused in our branch but stayed separate in their branch. That means that our enzymes won't work the same for our primate cousins' parts.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
So if I'm half banana, which half is banana?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:22
I can't talk about pigs, but primates don't match our DNA that well due to the fact that we have 23 chromosomes; primates have 24. Primate genes #2 and #13 fused in our branch but stayed separate in their branch.

Humans are primates.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:22
Intelligent life will be carbon based, and DNA based. DNA is based on 4 protein DNA bases, ACGT. I actually think it will be anthropoid in general.

Octopus are very intelligent and not even vaguely anthropoid.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:22
Actually, true G. Loose wording on my part, which I clarified in the next sentence by pointing out that the chromosome difference is part of the difference between the more ape-like branch vs. our branch. In fact, humans are indeed classified as primates. Forgive me if I get the order wrong, but we are Eukaria Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primata Hominidae Homo Sapiens. (And many authorities tack on a second Sapiens.) The split in our tree that I mentioned is what makes us different from "Pan," which is another branch descending from the Homonids.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:22
Tony is half banana?? Well, I'll be monkey's uncle--jeez maybe I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom