Petition to Rescind the CBE Medal Awarded to Paula Vennells former CEO of Post Office Ltd (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13
Petition to Rescind the CBE Medal Awarded to Paula Vennells former CEO of Post Office Ltd

The Horizon Post Office IT scandal has had significant repercussions, causing immense distress and hardship to numerous postmasters and mistresses who were unjustly affected by the faults in the Horizon system. The impact of this scandal cannot be understated, as it has led to wrongful convictions, financial ruin, and personal suffering for those embroiled in its aftermath.

As the then chair and CEO of Post Office Limited during the period in which this scandal unfolded, there is a pressing need to address not only the systemic failures that occurred but also the ethical considerations around accountability and responsibility. The role of leadership in times of crisis is paramount, and it is essential to acknowledge the impact of decisions made within such a critical position.

Considering the gravity of the Horizon Post Office IT scandal and the fallout for numerous individuals, we consider the award of a CBE medal is not in alignment with the ethical and moral standards that such an honor represents. Ms Vennells leadership during the period in question and the subsequent handling of the scandal raise serious questions about integrity, accountability, and the duties of those in positions of authority.

Given the circumstances, we request that the Government rescind this award of the CBE medal to Paula Vennells.

The award of such an honor amidst the unresolved fallout of the Horizon Post Office IT scandal amounts to a failure on the part of Government to recognize the magnitude of the impact of the events in question and is disrespectful of the sub postmasters and mistresses so affected.

JonXL

Local time
Today, 04:13
Well it looks like you got your wish.

But I've been reading up on this just to understand it from the technology point of view and it's hard to get a grip on what really was wrong with the system. What I've read makes it sound like something put together by children on an adding machine that no halfway competent adult (much less a professional in the field of programming financial systems) could ever feasibly see working correctly. It's almost comical. And that makes me wonder if I just am not understanding correctly. Or if it really was that bad.

I do know the whole fiasco makes me grateful for our Constitution. While shady employers over here aren't above laying accusations of theft against staff they want to be rid off, they at least can't also imprison them at their whim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom