Philosophy - what is yours? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:56
I like the perspectives of the Stoics. For example, focus on what you can control and not external events, which are outside of your sphere of control. Also, the Buddhist viewpoint is very pragmatic: question everything, life is suffering and your clinging to the idea that things should be different to what they actually are will lead to increased suffering. It also talks about the impermanence of everything. No, I don't believe I will come back as a bumblebee, although I do quite like honey. I have to keep reminding myself of the philosophical principles, because I tend to forget them. But they help keep me grounded and I refer to them sometimes when I have problems to solve.

Everybody has a philosophy, even if it is their own. Things like the stoics just comes in a pre-package form so that you can benefit from the wisdom of others and adopt their framework.

What philosophy do you follow?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:56
I have never really given much thought to exactly what my personal philosophy is, but I read this on a Dr's desk during a visit (back in 1991) which made an impression on me:
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. - Charles R. Swindoll
It is somewhat similar to the excerpt I quoted from your post...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:56
Though I'm not into the mystical parts, the Bible has some generally good advice on lots of things, and some excellent general advice comes from the penumbra of religion.

The Serenity prayer, though technically not Biblical, is good advice. Then there is the admonition to forgive others for being imperfect (which actually could be derived from the Serenity prayer). The Golden Rule, which predates the Bible and is found in many other religions, has to be a basis for getting along with others. The parable of the sower and the seeds has multiple interpretations. I like the one that thinks of the sower as putting seeds everywhere without caring that some fields produce more than others. He doesn't condemn the less productive fields because he knows that each field produces according to its nature and sometimes cannot be improved - yet he gives each field its chance to do what it can.

There is the Zen approach which I partly adopt when looking at things, like: Here is X - do I need to do something about it? If so, what? If not, then is it of value or interest? If so, explore. If not, walk away. And the question you almost NEVER ask is "Why is X?" unless it WAS determined that you needed to do something about it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:56
Things like the stoics just comes in a pre-package form so that you can benefit from the wisdom of others and adopt their framework.

Well said. And slapping the phrase 'religion' onto something (which applies to a large % of those 'frameworks'), can persuade people to overlook the value of the framework due to the triggering buzzword. It's good to benefit from the accumulated wisdom of mankind rather than reinventing too big a % of one's life. Some, yes, but not too big a %.
The interesting thing, though, is that directly correlating to the amount that one picks and chooses, it will generally be true that one will cherry-pick the things in a way that avoids the uncomfortable aspects that they most need to effect positive change in their life. Thus, thoroughly committing to one framework generally has more value than thoroughly examining and cherry picking pieces. Anyone in 12-step has studied exactly how powerful their dishonest human nature will affect cherry-picking pieces of a framework :)

What you said about accepting what you cannot control is very good stuff, too. It's a big part of 12-step philosophy, which was largely raised from a Christian group called the Oxford Group and then deliberately watered down a bit not because watering down was necessary to make it true, but because they knew people suffering from addiction would only accept a watered down version (bring more people in the door, so to speak)

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
my philosophy is that "shit just happens".

From our friend Marcus:
“Begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will, and selfishness – all of them due to the offenders’ ignorance of what is good or evil. But for my part I have long perceived the nature of good and its nobility, the nature of evil and its meanness, and also the nature of the culprit himself, who is my brother (not in the physical sense, but as a fellow creature similarly endowed with reason and a share of the divine); therefore none of those things can injure me, for nobody can implicate me in what is degrading. Neither can I be angry with my brother or fall foul of him; for he and I were born to work together, like a man’s two hands, feet or eyelids, or the upper and lower rows of his teeth. To obstruct each other is against Nature’s law – and what is irritation or aversion but a form of obstruction.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

jpl458

Local time
Today, 03:56
I like the perspectives of the Stoics. For example, focus on what you can control and not external events, which are outside of your sphere of control. Also, the Buddhist viewpoint is very pragmatic: question everything, life is suffering and your clinging to the idea that things should be different to what they actually are will lead to increased suffering. It also talks about the impermanence of everything. No, I don't believe I will come back as a bumblebee, although I do quite like honey. I have to keep reminding myself of the philosophical principles, because I tend to forget them. But they help keep me grounded and I refer to them sometimes when I have problems to solve.

Everybody has a philosophy, even if it is their own. Things like the stoics just comes in a pre-package form so that you can benefit from the wisdom of others and adopt their framework.

What philosophy do you follow?
I Believe, I belive that I will have a beer.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
I like to keep things simple - my maxims for life:
Try to treat others as you would like to be treated;
Try to offer what you would like to receive.
(Note the 'try' - sadly, I don't always succeed 😬 :ROFLMAO: )

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 06:56
One thing is certain, we are not currently ruled by the worlds wisest men (see #8 below). I think the reason we got there is in the corruption of the once great colleges of higher learning that have since gone down the road of indoctrination of Marxist values instead of teaching real wisdom and real lessons from history. The question is how do we get to that ideal of wise people in power when those in power are bent on giving us a fools choice for their own power hungry purpose's? Voting for leaders by two party choice doesn't work unless the choices are both of sufficient worthiness and wisdom. This is the plight of our time and has been for far too long.

If we can all admit that we fall short of our vision of what is just, then maybe there is hope.
  1. If your not already the wisest person in the land, be slow to speak and quick to listen. (I struggle with this one)
  2. The simple things in life are the best to rejuvenate the soul from toiling over the achieving of our goals.
  3. Be kind to strangers, and show love and mercy to those in need.
  4. If your going to be foolish, do so for as short a time span as possible.
  5. Think with your heart and not your brain in matters of human relationships.
  6. There are many excuses not to do anything good and worthwhile. Stop making excuses.
  7. A big heart beats a big mouth (see #1).
  8. The fool learns nothing from history's past and we all suffer because of it.
  9. The fact that there are camera's everywhere, you had better be on your best behavior.
  10. Being a good person requires self sacrifice.
I want to formally thank Jon for making this thread and inspiring me to revisit some of philosophies greatest contributors. I spent some time digging into the Will Durant books, and there is a lot of wisdom contained therein.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I want to formally thank Jon for making this thread and inspiring me to revisit some of philosophies greatest contributors. I spent some time digging into the Will Durant books, and there is a lot of wisdom contained therein.
You're welcome. Like I said earlier, I too have to keep reminding myself of these nuggets of wisdom because we all get caught up in lifes mess and forget the core principles.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 05:56
I don't actually
after Lecter was transferred to his new prison cell in Tennessee: he says to Clarice..."simplicity Clarice. read Marcus Aurelius, he asks 'what is it in itself? what does he do, this man you seek?'"

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
after Lecter was transferred to his new prison cell in Tennessee: he says to Clarice..."simplicity Clarice. read Marcus Aurelius, he asks 'what is it in itself? what does he do, this man you seek?'"
I think I probably didn't pick it up because back then I had no idea who Marcus Aurelius was. It would have just flown right over my head.

Anthony Hopkins is such a superb actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom