Please help. (1 Viewer)

Haynesey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:54
On my database, I have a form containing details about PCs owned by particular people. Linked to this by the number of the PC in another form are all the peripherals attached to the PC. However, should the PC be allocated to a new Person, I would update the name field on the PC form. Is there any way for the name field on all attached peripherals to be updated at the same time without having to manually open the Peripherals form?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 03:54
You need to be storing the information in two different tables, one for computers and one for peripherals. Create a primary key in both and link them.

Autoeng

Shep

Shep
Local time
Today, 02:54
It sounds as if your tables are not properly normalized, resulting in redundant data entry.

You should have separate tables for the owners, the PCs and the peripherals.

Then, assuming you can successfully check 'Enforce Referential Integrity' in the Relationship window on the relationship between the table which stores the owners and the table which stores the PCs, and on the relationship between the table which stores the PCs and the table which stores the peripherals, no updating will need to be done.

If you then change the owner, any query run on that relationship will reflect properly.

Edit:
Let me back up a bit. Referential Integrity actually has little to do with your exact problem. Good design with Primary Keys per Autoeng's suggestion is your basic problem, or so it would seem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom