Please Recommend a Website Builder for Dummies = (me) (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:42
Years ago, I created several very simple websites using "website builders", where you basically drag and drop extremely simple (to me it wasn't simple, but I know it is to any programmer) bits and pieces onto a page to create web pages. Of course there was some avenue to hook it up to a domain name and host some files if you wanted to pay some money, most of them were free unless you wanted to remove ads and branding, or host files, and for any domain or domain forwarding.

I'm looking for the same thing once again to build a simple website, donating my time for a nonprofit. My problem is that the "very simple website builders" have become pretty damn complicated (for me). Wix, for example, is one that I consider quite complex. It is all just a bit overwhelming. I just want to be able to drag and drop simple elements - a paragraph here, a sidebar there, a menu item here, a hyperlink here, a picture there, some text here. Including I need a widget to embed html from other sources, as those are commonly provided too, i.e. my nonprofit client has a embed code they will provide me for their Donations accepting, and for their Calendar functionality.

Can anyone suggest a good, SIMPLE website builder for a total dummy in websites (myself) ? I do appreciate if it has some modest pay options, (optional), for removing ads/branding and for helping me hook it up with a domain name, but would like the basic design-it components to be free or very very lowcost.

Like what is the opposite of Wix in complexity - think 2005-2010 or so. Are there any simple ones out there that you would recommend?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 18:42
I found WordPress easy to get on with.
You just need a host that supports it, as most do these days.

Plenty of support via Google as well.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:42
It almost looks like I could use Wordpress for "everything", from buying a domain to hosting, if I understand their website plans correctly.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
It almost looks like I could use Wordpress for "everything", from buying a domain to hosting, if I understand their website plans correctly.
Well, I would buy a site from whatever web host you want, then install Wordpress.
I think you would be hard pushed to find a host that does not support Wordpress. They would have an icon that you just press to install. You do not need to go to WP and download and install as you would on a PC.

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 12:42
All hosting services are roughly the same. Here's how it works, basically:
1. You buy some plan.
2. You install wordpress.
3. You install some template and plugins.
4. You modify the template.

Things in between include:
1. Making sure the plan includes being able to install wordpress
2. Making sure the plan includes a domain, otherwise you will need to buy it separately
3. Making sure the domain points to the hosting service, the hosting service usually hooks it up for you, but if you bought the domain somewhere else, you go to the admin panel of the domain registrar and add the hosting's DNS numbers
4. Making sure the plan includes SSL, otherwise you will need to install it yourself, you can do that for free, but buying it from the hosting service is easier because they will make sure it works all the time
5. Drag and drop for web things usually requires a powerful computer, keep that in mind, most wordpress builders demand a lot of CPU
6. Websites require propagation time, you may make changes that won't be visible for a while
7. Domains require propagation time, you can use dnscheker.org to see its status
8. If you plan to upload some app of yours, you have to make sure hosting allows it

I use hostinger, the website says I get a commission if I share this link. I doubt it has a discount.

I linked an Access database to the shared one from hostinger at some point, it requires to modify some php options from the hosting service, but the thing worked when I did it. They blacklisted me at the time because I had some sort of backdoor or bitcoin miner installed on my computer sending them thousands of requests to many of their ports, it was a virus in my computer, but it worked fine while it lasted.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:42
Along these lines, is there some data bound plug in for WordPress? Something that would look like a subform bound to a table? Or a bound web builder similar to the old Silverlight?

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 12:42
I'll be creating a WordPress website in a few weeks, I could test a few plugins and let you know my findings. The occasions I tried using WordPress plugins for forms were not fun because they always seemed to charge for anything other than basic contact forms. But since most people use WordPress for websites, I guess there's gotta be something out there that's handy.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I only ever had a little play at it. It was not needed in the end, but you pick a template, either free or purchased. Then amend it with your text/pictures. You can switch between editing and reviewing very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom