Portable database for storing images or any binary file (1 Viewer)

amir0914

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:10
Hi all,
As you know access database is limited in size (2GB) and it's not good to attach more files in it for example images, musics , ...
I have been using to attach the files in a folder beside access database and call them from access, but I need to store all files (jpg, png, pptx, mp3 ,..) in a single database without limited in capacity or larger size. and also I need that to be portable ,it means without installing any software.
Do you think it is possible?
Thanks in advance.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 21:10
You request has several parts which don't fit together

First of all, the 2GB file size limit in Access cannot be exceeded.

The free Express version of SQL Server has a 10GB size limit. Paid versions of SS have much larger 'capacity' of the order of several terabytes.
However, a file of that size certainly wouldn't be portable and like any other database it would require software

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:10
if SQLExpress (10g) is not enough. you can use mySQL.

amir0914

Registered User.
Local time
Nearly 6 GB is enough, but I need to a portable database, I have worked with SQLServer, but users must install it.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
How about a zip archive file containing an Access database and all the files and you program it to open the files from CurrentProject.Path. You don't even need to store the file names as you can use FileSystemObject to list all the files in the folder (and its subfolders).
Can't get much more portable than this...
Cheers,

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:10
I have to second the comments made by Vlad. Do you actually need a relational database? Because TECHNICALLY, a database is any gathering of data into a manageable container or set of containers. A ZIP archive is a perfectly good example of a database that can be handled by the Win10 file system without Access being involved. And there, your total capacity limit is very high. Due to the potential need to manipulate the file in a certain way, I think you can have a ZIP container half the size of your disk. That takes care of the 2GB requirement. And the file doesn't even have to be contiguous.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:10
We have no idea what problem you are trying to solve so we're shooting in the dark. Hope we don't wound any bystanders. Sounds like you don't need a database at all. I don't find that zip compresses images much if at all so using a zip to shrink the size won't help.

FrankRuperto

Local time
Why not store the images externally in OS folder(s) and the path for each image in an Access table?
This way your images can easily be ported and you don't have to worry about db size limits and performance degradation.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
I thought the main idea was portability, no database (MS SQL or Oracle or...) would compress image files any better than zip, it was just an idea for an easy "browser" app written in Access as we seem to be an Access shop around here :).
Cheers,

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
SQLite is a portable database that can contain BLOB's and has a max size of around 2TB.

Of course you will need an interface too.

hth,

d

FrankRuperto

Local time
...but I need to store all files (jpg, png, pptx, mp3 ,..) in a single database without limited in capacity or larger size. and also I need that to be portable ,it means without installing any software.
Do you think it is possible?
It's possible to store all those as BLOB's within a free db server with no limits like PostgreSQL but it requires installing PostgreSQL software in order to access those objects.

NOTE: When I include a weblink in my posts and press "Save", an error message says it looks like you are posting spam and doesn't save the post. What's up with this?

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:10
NOTE: When I include a weblink in my posts and press "Save", an error message says it looks like you are posting spam and doesn't save the post. What's up with this?

There is a limit on posting web links by newer members, Frank. That will go away in a few more posts.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And we are still guessing regarding the whole point of this thread.

FrankRuperto

Local time
Hi @Pat Hartman ,

Hope you are well. Its been a while since we last connected.
As this thread stands, unless the OP provides more clarity, I think the point of this thread is moot because his initial statement is controversial.
I bid 3NT on this thread :)

@The_Doc_Man

Thanks for the heads up, the err msg was misleading.

FrankRuperto

Local time
Nearly 6 GB is enough, but I need to a portable database, I have worked with SQLServer, but users must install it.

AFAIK, the only portable database that I know of that doesn't require user installation is a devices' native filesystem.

Last edited:

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
>> AFAIK, the only portable database that I know of that doesn't require installation is a devices' native filesystem. <<

Or SQLite

amir0914

Registered User.
Local time
SQLite is a portable database that can contain BLOB's and has a max size of around 2TB.

Of course you will need an interface too.

hth,

d
Thank you all, sorry for the delay in replying, I didn't expect to these response.
many thanks to cheekybuddha, I finally found what I've been looking for, this is "SQLite",
SQLite is awesome, because it's a potable database (.DB) and the size of this database is extremely large. and also MS access can be connected to it easily. (ODBC )
It's very suitable for storing files such as png, jpg, mp3 ....., I realized that we have to use vba codes (ADDODB.STREAM) to convert and attach file in it.
Does someone know how to write and read file in SQLite database via VBA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom