Question Possible to "store" forms and reports in separate FE's (1 Viewer)

cclark9589

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:16
I have an A2007 database used for time and billing. As time goes on I've had to add more forms and especially more reports. I feel the because of all these "additions" the FE is getting a bit bloated, something like 2.2MB right now.

What I want to inquire about is the possibility of moving at least some (if not all) of the forms and reports to another FE and can this be done without having to move tables and/or queries?

The navigation pane is "hidden" from the users so they don't see all the tables, queries, forms and reports but some are smart enough to figure out to "unhide" the navigation pane.

Concerning the forms; there are certainly some forms that I do not want other users to open out of curiosity, or for whatever other reasons they might have, so these I would want to move. The same basic reasoning would apply to the reports.

My thinking would be this; move a particular form/report to a separate FE that merely acts as a "bucket" to store the form/report. Clicking on the control in the main FE would open the form/report stored in the other FE using the tables and queries in the main FE.

Does this make sense and more importantly, can it be done without having to re-write a bunch of code? I know I can add code so certain controls aren't visible to certain users but I've not found a way to permanently lock and hide the navigation pane.

Again, my only motivator is I feel the FE is getting bloated.

Thanks in advance

cclark9589

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:16
Rural

By today's standards you are right, 2.2 MB isn't very big at all so perhaps it would've been best to say the time it took to load the db but being the novice that I am I just sort of assumed it must be from all those forms/reports and the associated code that goes with them. My mind said, "Move them somewhere else, that should speed up the FE."

I'll give the compile method a shot. Thanks for the quick reply and the link. Now another question:

Could network traffic be causing some of this slowness on opening the db? I'm talking anywhere from 2 to 5 or 6 seconds, possibly even longer. Not a lifetime but this FE used to open up nearly instantaneously. A combination of both?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
Each user should have his own personal copy of the FE loaded on his C: drive. Only the BE is stored on the network shared drive. Storing the FE locally improves load time since the database doesn't have to be downloaded from the server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom