Problem with subform data based on form variables (1 Viewer)

mrod

Local time
Today, 16:06
Let me preface this by saying I posted this message to the forms list and didn't get a useful reply. I am reposting to this list to see if what I am trying to do is better accomplished by using underlying VB code. Please comment on the design methodology that would usually be used to perform this type of task.

Thanks Much
-Matt

I am putting together a basic time tracking system and am having trouble with syncing the form and sub form when editing the timesheets.
I have a table called Time_Card which contains:

Time_Card_Key (Primary Key)
Employee_Id
Date_Worked

I have another table named Time_Card_Detail which contains:

Time_Card_Detail_key (Primary Key)
Time_Card_key
Work_code
Etc..

The database is constructed so that Time_Card.Time_Card_Key has a one-to-many relationship with Time_Card_Detail.Time_Card_Key.

The recordsource for the form is Time_Card. The basis of the form is to select an Employee_key(select query form another table named Employee_Name) and Date_worked(Based off of a query which using the given employee key to limit the Time_Card_key value to one record). Which are both values in the form. Once this is done the corresponding detailed entries should show up in the subform.

My Master-Child links are Time_Card.Time_Card_key
Time_Card_Detail.Time_Card_Key

So my question is how do I pass the Time_Card_Key value I derive in the query underlying Date_Worked to the form which in turn should syncronize the subform? Am I doing this completely wrong or am I missing somthing simple? I have tried to base the form off of a query which determines a value of Time_Card_key based on the employee_key and Date_worked selected, however since there is no initial value when the form opens, the subform is not even visible.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:06
What you need to do is to link the main form with the sub form via the Child Field / Master Field property that is available when you click on the subform and look in the Properties list.

You will want to have the both of them read:
Time_Card_Key

Then, what you need is to determine when to run the code: Me.Requery

It would be when you select your record from your main form so that the subform will change.

BL
hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom