Solved Problems with getting cascading combo boxes to register selection on table (1 Viewer)

Dag Solder

Local time
Today, 13:53
Hi,

First post here, so please excuse any transgressions.

My skill level in Access could be described as very basic (at best)!

I have used Access over the years but have always stuck to using form wizards to help me achieve the basic databases I need.

However, I now find myself in need of cascading combo boxes (at least I think I do). I have a table (Vehicles) which contains information in 3 columns, Make, Model and Style, i.e:

Make Model Style
BMW3 seriesSaloon
BMW3 seriesCoupe
BMW5 seriesSaloon
AudiQ3SUV
FordMustangCoupe

I have a form (Form) with 3 combo boxes and 1 text box.

On the form, I have managed to make the contents of the Model combo box dependent on the Make combo box, i.e. if the user selects BMW in the first box, they will be offered 3 series, 5 series etc. Similarly, if the user selects 3 series in the Model box, they will be offered Coupe, Saloon etc. in the style box

The fourth box is just a text box used to record my ramblings during testing.

At this stage, I should point out, that these Cascaded combo boxes will eventually form part of a much larger form, with mostly text entry fields, but I have removed the other fields from the attached as they are irrelevant to this problem.

I have used the query builder to build 3 sets of queries to control the content of each of the 3 combo boxes. In so far as the content of the combo boxes, all seems to work as intended.

Finally, I have a table (DestinationTable) where I would like each of the inputs (once selected) in the combo box to be stored, along with the text box.

Well, this is where I turn to you for your assistance, other than the text box, I can’t get the information from the Cascaded combo boxes to appear as a record.

Rather than try to explain further, I have attached a copy of the basic form & tables + saved queries.

I believe one of the main problems is that I have used select query, but I just don’t seem to be able to figure out an alternative.

Thank you to anyone willing to advise, don’t forget, I am a basic user.

Thank you for any information that you are able to offer

Dag

Attachments

• Car.accdb
    1.9 MB · Views: 212

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:53
Well, this is where I turn to you for your assistance, other than the text box, I can’t get the information from the Cascaded combo boxes to appear as a record.
I'm unsure as to what you mean by that statement?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:53
you did not set the recordSource of the form.

Attachments

• Car.zip
    25.7 KB · Views: 428

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom