Proof that consciousness lives outside the laws of physics (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 02:03
Who is to say that Sigmund was totally wrong in his viewpoints (even though we have learned more since he was around)?
I think he was pretty right, considering the level of science when he was working

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:03
I don't have anywhere near the time to go back and find each source, but over the past 20 years I have done a fair amount of reading from scientists and archeologists that demonstrated exactly what I asserted above. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Obviously, whatever I read, you haven't read, and vice versa I'm sure.

I have noticed that you have often tried to tell me what is or isn't Christian teaching. Many things occur to me in this moment, but I think I'll restrain myself to simply say, with respect, you might consider the idea that as a lifelong Christian, I'm fairly familiar with Christian teaching - that which I think is mainstream for (as I have mentioned before), specifically, Christian Protestant, generally non-denominational (although my flavor probably has 95% in common with Baptist or Evangelical Free Church theology).
And I've never heard of Bishop Ussher.

We all try to understand other people's religions, politics, science backgrounds, etc., but where it gets humorous is when for example I try to tell you the "most well known scientists" (even though you would know that, I wouldn't), or when you try to tell me with the implication that someone is a well known or most core representative of my Christianity teaching (even though you wouldn't know that - you may try and that's respectable, but it won't come anywhere near someone who's spent 43 years on the inside of the teaching, churches, etc).
This is especially pertinent to religion, where the secular world's labeling of "major Christian leader" or "primary theologian", etc., very rarely match how I would deem such a thing, and which labels are usually even curated in order to bolster the argument the secular article is making, etc.
For example, when CNN talks about "major Evangelical leaders", I almost never agree that they are anywhere near a major leader in the area, sometimes never having heard of them in fact.

I doubt you'll acknowledge that point so I respectfully heretofore agree to disagree with you on that. :)

"That isn't a Christian teaching" - I think I'll leave my previous points to stand as that statement is evident enough on its face to be a somewhat strange assertion, since you are talking to a Christian.
The problem is you're using secular methods of determining age to tell me that my Christian interpretation goes back before Christian civilizations - which makes no sense!
I do not know where you got (hopefully not from me?) that I believe the earth started at the same time God spoke to Abraham.

It always feels strange when someone tries to tell you what you believe.
It sounds like me talking to a Jew and yelling "You can't possibly believe that! That's not a Jewish teaching!"
And the Jew saying really? Could've fooled me!

I wanted to allow this to settle for a bit before I point out something. Until age 35, I was a Christian - specifically, Methodist. It was about that time that I lost my faith. So you see I actually DO understand Christian teachings. Our different takes on what is or is not a Christian teaching may be more denominational differences than anything else.

"For example, when CNN talks about major Evangelical leaders, I almost never agree that they are anywhere near a major leader in the area, sometimes never having heard of them in fact."

On this we would probably agree.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:03
An early part of this discussion wrangled over "free will" and Uncle G always points to Jordan Peterson's videos. So here is HIS take on free will and what it actually means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom