Protecting tables from accidentally being deleted or edited (1 Viewer)

neilsolaris

Local time
Today, 03:22
Hi,

I have an access database that only I use. However, I'm always a little worried that I'll accidentally mess up the data in one of the tables, even though I back it up often. I use Access 2007 by the way.

Therefore, is there a setting that allows me to add new records to the tables, but prevents me from editing or deleting records? Preferably a setting which I can switch off easily when necessary.

Many thanks for your help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:22
One way, although not foolproof, is to always use a Form to enter the data. Set the Data Entry property of that Form to Yes.

neilsolaris

Local time
Thanks for that. I think I do have forms for all the tables as it stands, so I'll give that a try.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:22
Thanks for that. I think I do have forms for all the tables as it stands, so I'll give that a try.
An additional approach, again not totally foolproof, is to create your own menu system to guide you through what you can do within your database. Hopefully, it will discourage you from doing things outside of the menu system.

neilsolaris

Local time
I was thinking about setting that up actually. So it would effectively be a form, with various combo boxed to click on, taking me to the various other forms?

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
If you apply a foreign key at least it will ask you before it drops the table.
That should help a little.

As for editing … maybe the triggers in the newer versions of Access …

hth,
Wayne

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Also consider hiding the navigation pane so you don't ever open the tables/queries directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom